Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jjnehs

RVF Newbee
I recently purchased a 2006 Fleetwood Excursion and now I'm experiencing problems with the DC voltage in my coach. The coach is connected to 50 amp shore power. For starters the steps no longer extend when opening the door, the internal upper part of the control panel that monitors the fresh, grey, black water and other functions including main and aux batteries are unlit. The monitor below that is lit and displays battery state full, AC in is lit, charge DC volts 13.5 volts, Invert DC amps <10, incoming AC breaker 50 amps. The coach has 2-12v chassis batteries and 4-6v house batteries. I tested all the batteries with a multimeter, the house batteries tested just over 6 volts, the chassis batteries tested with almost no voltage. I tried to hook up a trickle charger to the 12-volt batteries, but the charger kept on saying hook the leads to the battery posts and didn't even recognize them as batteries. I was under the impression that shore power was supposed to provide 50 amps to the inverter/charger which then charged all the batteries.

Please offer any assistance as I'm new to RV's and learning how the whole electrical system works.

Attachments

• Chassis Batteries.jpg
    Chassis Batteries.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
  • Control Panel.jpg
    Control Panel.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • House Batteries.jpg
    House Batteries.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
Assuming by hooked to 50 amp shore power you mean that you are getting 120volts where you should be in the coach itself. If not (and cant hurt to check anyway) there should be breakers and fuses in potentially several places that could be controlling the battery charging and distribution of the power out of the inverter and or charger if they are separate devices. I would start looking there. If the batteries failed badly enough they would cause a trickle charger to not function.

You might also check the breakers on the face of the inverter itself

If at the battery you have 6 v the battery is dead. Any battery at 0v is trash.
When connected to shore power disconnect cables ( 10awg) and check for voltage 13.6 or more. If you have it it is time for batteries. If you don't it is time to find the fuses. Fuses good, time for converter. No matter those batteries are likely trash.

My 2007 monaco doesn't charge the chassis batteries on shore power. I put a battery maintainer on them when I'm going to be parked for more than a day or two.

My 2007 monaco doesn't charge the chassis batteries on shore power. I put a battery maintainer on them when I'm going to be parked for more than a day or two.
Two types of batteries, it is better they don't charge together.
As I recall, the ?boost start switch? Did connect them. Really that has been a while.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back