RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2011 Jeep Liberty
Purchased 2 months ago a 2016 Ventana LE 4037 on Freightliner Chassis.

After starting the engine the display panel always reads "Low Battery".

Checking the Magnum panel, chassis batteries reads 12.8 volts (house batteries at 13.6). I used a volt meter on the both chassis batteries and they each read 13.6 volts.

Today for the first time after starting the engine, the dash volt meter cycled a couple times down to about 8 volts which caused the "Low Battery" readout to display momentarily then it would bounce back up to about 13 volts. It did this 2-3 times then stopped.

Have no clue why I can check battery volts at 13.6 then get "Low Battery" warnings.

Anyone have a idea what to look for.

Thanks

Completely normal, it's the high voltage spike at startup, it can be ignored. FL should have programmed this alert out as it causes everyone concern.

Completely normal, it's the high voltage spike at startup, it can be ignored. FL should have programmed this alert out as it causes everyone concern.
Thanks Neal....making sure I understand.....the low volatge warnings I get at every startup is normal?. Also, today for the first time the panel volt meter cycling between 8 and 13 volts 2-3 times......this is normal too?

This coach is my first diesel rig and I'm still learning.

Thanks

I’m not sure about the voltage you’re observing. It’s not something I ever check at start.

I’m not sure about the voltage you’re observing. It’s not something I ever check at start.
Thanks Neal.....The instrument panel LCD display under the gages is where is see the "Low Battery" warning when I start the engine. This warning caused me to check the Magnum panel and the chassis batteries themselves.
So I'm still trying to determine of the "Low Battery" warning is normal?

If these are the original chassis batteries there is a possibility that they are close to there useful life. It is normal after the coach has sat to get the low batt warning on startup. Normally only get the warning after sitting awhile. Has the coach been plugged into shore power?

Low voltage warning on engine start is NORMAL and can be ignored.

My2017 Ventana LE is the same, always with the low battery drama! As I recall there was a firmware update that Freightliner issued early in 2018 and was applied to my coach. it was supposed to fix the problem but it didn’t.

I agree with @Neal after start the batteries will reflect the hit they get starting the engine. The regulator will try to keep the batteries at 14.4 on most vehicles no matter what the power plant is. Your indicator reflects this hit and should clear after the generator gets the voltage up to normal. At rest the batteries should read 12.67 fully charged having set for 24 hours. It is fully possable that the regulator is a three stage regulator in that case 13.8 is likely float charge and bulk charge would be 14.4. Of course that is a 12v system.

Thanks Everyone for your input. I've learned from your responses and that of others that the Low Battery warning at start up on my Freightliner chassis is normal.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back