Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Barbaramhicks

RVF Newbee
Our Chassis battery loses voltage while we are camping. It's been in shop many times. Thought it was fixed. After 5 days we had to use battery booster and let it run for awhile. Any ideas why this keeps happening?
Newmar Bay Star 2020.

Last edited:
a bit more detail on your rig and situation might help folks help you. Most rigs have some type of relay that shifts charging between chassis and house batteries. It usually shifts on battery condition. Many times these get rusty and are not able to shift so the load not getting routine charging depletes.

How old is the chassis battery and has it been properly load-tested (not just an at-rest voltage check) when it was “in the shop.” Sadly, a lot of “shop mechanics” don’t know how to load-test a battery.

Your issue sounds a lot like a failing battery, but could also be the charging circuit as noted by others. Information on the year/make/model of your RV would certainly help us in making a more informed assessment of the problem.

TJ

How old is the chassis battery and has it been properly load-tested (not just an at-rest voltage check) when it was “in the shop.” Sadly, a lot of “shop mechanics” don’t know how to load-test a battery.

Your issue sounds a lot like a failing battery, but could also be the charging circuit as noted by others. Information on the year/make/model of your RV would certainly help us in making a more informed assessment of the problem.

TJ
Newmar Bay Star 2020 bought new

Sounds like a B.I.R.D issue

When plugged in to shore power the chassis batteries should be getting maintained. On some coaches such as mine there is also a small solar panel on the roof Newmar installed to help charge the chassis batteries. I'm not sure if you have one or if it's working. I suggest putting in a call to Newmar and see what they say and if you're still under warranty they may set you up to take it somewhere near your location.

Thank you. It's been in shop more than we've had it. We can use it for 4-5 days before we have to start it and charge it. 4-5 days is good. We used to have to do it every 24! Crazy. Love the coach when it starts! Really thought it was fixed. But guess not!

Despite the fact that the battery is only a couple of years old, I would have it load-tested. Brand new batteries have been known to fail.

TJ

Latest resources

Back