Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
End of last year I was concerned about having to add oil from time to time and asked others if they were doing so, is this normal for a diesel engine. Answer was no. I took it in to have it checked and they replaced the oil pan gasket. I stopped having to add oil.

A few stops ago on a concrete pad I noticed a small oil area with wet oil. Each stop I'm leaving a small amount of oil. Today I took it to Cummins and they put die in and did a compression test and found the oil leak coming from the top. A head gasket is required. It's a week long service, 30-40 hours labor, rate here is $138/hr, add parts. Not cheap. Thankfully it's under warranty. As it's not critical it will be done after the winter trip.

So the word to the wise, as we do while our "house" is under warranty, while your engine is under warranty be looking at it under a magnifying glass for issues like this. I'm lucky I noticed it on the concrete pad.

110402C4-EF56-4C8C-882A-712DAEB20F04.jpeg

i also had an oil pan leak that was fixed last year

How many miles on your engine Neal?

I would not have noticed the initial leak and wet areas of the engine had it not been for being able to easily view at HWH for the Active Air install where you can walk under it.

Follow-up to my Cummins visit in Tucson, AZ yesterday:

When I went to get my keys to pickup the coach they wanted to charge me $300+ for troubleshooting/diagnostics. I said no, it's under warranty and he agreed and was going to send me the paperwork via email as he had to redo it. I was a bit shocked I was being charged and felt this was a scam to get money from people for warranty visits at a local shop. As the repair will be 5 days and it's not critical I decided to wait to do this when I return home to VA.

I just called asking for the paperwork as I hadn't received it and he tells me that he was supposed to charge me for the diagnostics as there was no repair performed and it's with his manager at this time.

What is your take? If you go to an automotive place such as Cummins and there is a problem that is covered under warranty are you supposed to pay them for diagnostics of it?

I called Cummins and they said yes if you don't do the repair then you pay for the diags. Well, they released me without paying as he agreed it was under warranty so I'm on the run :)

That would be why I was taught to look under the truck when walking toward it. That was pounded into my head about 35 years ago when I drove semi and I still do it. Also, when you get parked while waiting for the turbo cool the first thing I do is get out and do a walk around making sure to put the back of my fingers on every tire and hub checking for anything running warm.

40 hrs labor to change a head gasket? That’s one person working full time 8hrs a day for 5 days???. Does not look reasonable to me. I have done work on marine diesels in my past life. Unless they will be taking the engine out to do turn work?

The problem as I understand it is that most DP coaches do not have much access to the engine. There is a lot of work that needs to be done from above and then clean up etc. I do agree that the amount of labor is a bit on the high side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back