Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
It's been nearly 4 years to the day, June 5th was my factory pickup at Newmar, 2017. I almost did it, for the first time....leaving my connections CONNECTED. I can't blame anything such as habit patterns or sequence, it just happened. Campgrounds are always different, hookups are different (this was water and electric only), I had just walked the dog and moved the car out of the way so I could back out of my nose in site in Big Timber, MT. My RV has a checklist in the dash that guides you through checking tire pressure, basements locked, frig door locked, shower door locked, electric....WAIT...electric? [Input explitive] - I almost did it! Close call but I got out and stowed electric and water and avoided another Neal story!

I share this as all of my other stories for those that know me so others can learn as learning from each other is very important in the RV community. Not all RV's have checklists but it doesn't mean you can't create your own just like we have in airplanes that we stow in a side pocket. Pull it out, run the checklist, stow, proceed on your journey. Thankfully my RV has a checklist and I use it every time I startup. This time it saved me.

Create your checklists and use them!

Been there, done that!

The one things that I find is a must do EVERY time before the starting the engine when departing a site is a walk around the coach. Checking to ensure hookups are stowed, compartments securely closed, jacked fully retracted, coached aired up, slides closed, awning retracted, etc. I occasionally find things that were missed. I always start at the entrance door and if I am ever distracted (by DW), I always start over starting at the entrance door again.

The mind is the first to go, @Neal. Kidding, but not really.

It didn’t take long for me to realize my ADD would not allow me to correctly get the coach ready for travel. I found an app called RV Checklist that I began to use very early on. I use it religiously and it has served me well.

My 2015 Ventana LE has a built in check list. When I start the coach the check list appears in the same area I set milage/leg time/MPG etc etc. With those same controls I can scroll through the checklist before I leave the campground.

Been there done that twice. So I purchased a set of these things from Amazon. Now I only have to remember to put them on the steering wheel. As I was reading this I looked and the bands were still beside the drivers seat. Got up an installed before typing this!

Camco RV Steering Wheel Check Bands​

I don't use a check list but I do a complete walk around the RV before leaving. Looking to make sure everything is disconnected, and awnings are rolled up and stabilizers are up where they go.

Been there, done that!

The one things that I find is a must do EVERY time before the starting the engine when departing a site is a walk around the coach. Checking to ensure hookups are stowed, compartments securely closed, jacked fully retracted, coached aired up, slides closed, awning retracted, etc. I occasionally find things that were missed. I always start at the entrance door and if I am ever distracted (by DW), I always start over starting at the entrance door again.
Exactly. Glad to hear no problems occurred. I try to think DOT pre-trip. Usually walk around and look under and over twice.

I made and use a checklist. Place it right behind the steering wheel covering the instrument panel. It reminds me to do all the stuff necessary for safe travel. It makes life easier. Now...if I can only remember to put up the checklist after each stop...hmmm...

We have slap its on the steering wheel. Pull one off and go check it. Rinse and repeat.

Recently started coach, waited for pop off valve, brought slides in, disconnected electrics, locked and checked basement doors, proceeded to pull out of site to hook up the toad. Problem was coach never went to ride height, now I’ve added that to checklist, visually inspect at ride height. Pop off valve is not the indicator of ride height.

Latest resources

Back