Chassis
Freighliner
Engine
450hp Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2013 Honda CRV
Fulltimer
No
Somewhat off topic but, how do you like your Colorado for towing? I currently use a Honda CRV but I’m thinking of using a vehicle that I can just disconnect the transfer case. I have always been partial to Chevrolet.

The Colorado is a great TOAD but it's a little small for "pickup" functionality. I like it, great to drive and very comfortable.

I drive a GMC Canyon and would offer the same as Neal.

I have a GMC Canyon Toad... 2016, Diesel

Works well, no complaints. I've seen some concerns of complexity to prepare for towing... Maybe compared to jeep, but nothing that complex.

Using the Ready Brute Elite, Blue Ox baseplate, Perko Battery Disconnect (diesel requires higher amp connection)

Previously used the green knob battery disconnect but had issues of random non-connectivity.

Nice truck, makes a great TOAD!

Last edited:
We have towed our Colorado some 55k miles and driven it 90k+ Have thought about upgrading to full size but can’t stomach the cost. Only downside to Colorado is the size but not an issue for some

I just looked into flat towing my 2018 Canyon Denali but it seems that I do not have a Neutral position on the panel control knob. I have 4WD controls, 2WD, auto 4, 4wd High and 4wd low. I don't know why I don't have a neutral position. The knob has an N embossed on it just not painted white and no detent either. I wonder if mine can be modified or will I be out of luck and need to trade it for a towable version? Posting the same question with the GMC forum group.

I just looked into flat towing my 2018 Canyon Denali but it seems that I do not have a Neutral position on the panel control knob. I have 4WD controls, 2WD, auto 4, 4wd High and 4wd low. I don't know why I don't have a neutral position. The knob has an N embossed on it just not painted white and no detent either. I wonder if mine can be modified or will I be out of luck and need to trade it for a towable version? Posting the same question with the GMC forum group.

"N" is not a "permanent" position. There is a several step process to put into neutral. Read you owners manual. I printed out the steps to put it into and out of tow mode, put it in a plastic sleeve and keep it in my glove box.

"N" is not a "permanent" position. There is a several step process to put into neutral. Read you owners manual. I printed out the steps to put it into and out of tow mode, put it in a plastic sleeve and keep it in my glove box.
I just went back and read the full instructions in my OM. They left out the pat your head while rubbing your belly and jumping up and down on one leg part;) Thank you. I am going to go thru the procedure to see if indeed I find neutral. I just tried it out and works like a champ! Glad I don't have to buy a new toad now. I think that if I tow it often I will install a switch on the ground lug to expedite the process.
Rusty

I just went back and read the full instructions in my OM. They left out the pat your head while rubbing your belly and jumping up and down on one leg part;) Thank you. I am going to go thru the procedure to see if indeed I find neutral. I just tried it out and works like a champ! Glad I don't have to buy a new toad now. I think that if I tow it often I will install a switch on the ground lug to expedite the process.
Rusty
Just a tip....

While turning the knob to the N position you Cannot stop along the way.

One swift motion

Myself and the service mgr found out the hard way....

Here's ground disconnect switch with high enough amp rating for the diesel..

I initially used the inexpensive green knob disconnect but had some random failures to remain connected when not towing

I'm sure there are other options as well
IMG_0671.JPG

Rusty
Glad it worked. I found a remote battery disconnect and installed the button to the lower left on the dash. There is a blank spot with a blank slot there.

Latest resources

Back