Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bowhunter1130

RVF Newbee
Hey everyone I'm in the middle of getting a camper but it requires my truck to have a class 3 hitch I got a 2 inch square insert for a slide in tube but I cant seem to find a class 3 insert for it am I missing something I'm new to this thanks.

Not sure which piece you are missing. The receiver or the shaft which comes in many different configurations? It is more complicated then just hitch it up and go. Depending on the truck and the camper. More info and welcome to the forum. You will get answers here.

Isn't class 3 lighter duty? Could you just get a class 4, which I believe is standard on most trucks? Or did I get that backwards?

Not sure which piece you are missing. The receiver or the shaft which comes in many different configurations? It is more complicated then just hitch it up and go. Depending on the truck and the camper. More info and welcome to the forum. You will get answers here.
It's a 2011 forest river windjammer and my truck is a 2012 ford f150 v8

Class 3 and 4 are 2 inch receivers. 8000 lb for 3 and 10000 for 4. We need the info from your inner drivers door for your truck and the dry weight and tongue weight of your camper.

Sounds like you have the hitch (receiver) installed on your truck and what you need is the ball mount. You can go pretty much anywhere to get a class 4 ball mount (or class 3 if you insist) for a pickup truck. Worst case scenario, go to your local Ford dealer, though it will likely be more expensive than someplace like Princess Auto, Home Depot or Lowe's/Rona.

@Bowhunter1130 As others have said provide your truck placard info and trailer dry weight & tongue weight so folks can provide some meaningful guidance. In the mean time here is some info on Class III Ball Mounts which may be the part you are asking about. As you will see there are many to choose from. It's important to account for truck receiver height and trailer tongue height to select the appropriate ball mount.

Latest resources

Back