Class A Sway

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hey johnjames47, look at youtube for the Sumo Springs, they may help. Good luck

We have a 2001 Class A. It seems to sway a lot during turns and on rough roads. Any suggestions ?
It would really help to know what kind of Class A you have. Air suspension? Spring? Etc. The more info the better. Otherwise the advice someone gives you may be totally wrong for your application!

We have a 2001 Class A. It seems to sway a lot during turns and on rough roads. Any suggestions ?
Assuming your driving a Gasser on F53 frame, then Google CHF - Cheap Handling Fix.

What chassis?? If its a Ford F53, this is what I recommend before spending a lot of money:

1) Verify tire pressure is correct for the weight on the axle.

2) Verify front end alignment. Set toe-in to the max, or even a little past max. If the shop is also going to do caster, have them set it 1-2 degrees past max. set to 6-7 degrees.

3) Do the CHF (Cheep Handling Fix.) This is an adjustment to the sway bars, both front and rear. This will drastically improve sway.

3a) IMPORTANT - On 2005 F53 and up, verify the rear sway bar bolts and brackets are installed and tight on the axle. These have a habit of falling out and/or breaking.

4) If the shocks are over 10 years old, replace them. I used regular ole Monroe's. BIG improvement (the originals were worn completely out)

5) If you're a DIYer, consider making and installing a rear track bar. This will hold the rear axle in alignment with the frame. no more tail waging the dog.

From the previous posts all valid points when investigating and controlling sway and steering issues on certain coaches. In my case I have a 2019 Thor Outlaw on an F-53 26,000 pound chassis. So far the modifications that I have accomplished include adding the Safety-Steer stabilizer, Sumo springs front and rear, and a thorough front end alignment to compliment the upgrades. As the coach is so new I opted to keep the Bilstein shocks on it however some say upgrading to Koni's is a good idea which I may do in the future. Off of the dealer lot the steering and handling of my coach was miserable but after the three items that I mentioned it is a world of difference. I can roll down the interstate at a comfortable 65mph and no tractor trailer that blows by me in either direction causes me any type of "white knuckle" steering. Bumps from road irregularities and body roll were two of my other concerns. That seems to be rectified to a great degree now by the addition of the Sumo springs. Before Sumo's if I was doing an off or on ramp to the interstate I would have to slow down a lot to compensate for roll. Now the coach remains more upright and I can in most cases do the maximum speed limit suggested for the ramp like most other vehicles. Tire pressure is monitored closely which of course is something that always needs to be done. As I have a toy hauler the ride is even more improved with a load in the garage, a full fuel tank and a water tank at least half full.

Latest resources

Back