Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
What's your technique for cleaning bugs off the windshield when you arrive (or before you depart) the campground?

I've seen various techniques, some take a lot more time than others. I figured I'd share what I do and I'm curious to learn what others do.

One option I got on my coach was a hot water spigot at the front of the coach which is in the GEN bay. This is designed for this very topic - bug removal. Yesterday I was covered with bugs, it was like wearing polarized sunglasses, a nice shade effect brought to you by your local bugs! I use diesel burner to ensure the hottest of hot water and also water pump on to make sure water pressure is not lacking. With this super hot water I can get 90% of the bugs off just by spraying. They seem to melt right off (disgusting). I then use my bugs-n-all and spray the windshield and lower half as well. I then use a bug scrubber with the squeegee on the opposite side and make a pass. Follow that up with hot water again and I'm done. Probably took me 5-10 minutes yesterday to get 100% clean. I used my water blade to squeegee all the water off, it's a little more effective than the smaller squeegee on the bug scrubber.

Windshield washer fluid and scrubber, followed by WashWaxAll and microfiber cloth on a roll and long pole.

Windshield is waxed twice a year with Rejex.

Start with Rain-X applied to a clean windshield. The bugs and water roll-off.

I was told by Diamond Shield installer to never use Rain-x as it and other degreasing products will damage their product.

Wayne
Well.........I suppose I've ruined a lot of windshields over the 40 or so years I've used the product. But never known of or seen any complaint. It also works great in the shower. The water beads up and runs off. No more mineral spots.

I have no clue about Diamond Shield products.

Well.........I suppose I've ruined a lot of windshields over the 40 or so years I've used the product. But never known of or seen any complaint. It also works great in the shower. The water beads up and runs off. No more mineral spots.

I have no clue about Diamond Shield products.
It damage’s the Diamond Shield not the windshield. That is the protection for stone chips on front of coach.

We usually top off the tank before stopping for the night to get a good start on the next day. I'll scrub the windshield with their squeegee then give it a good finish with windex and paper towels once we get set up at the RV Park.

After living in the Texas Panhandle for 20 years I learned you don't want to let them bake on in the sun. Becomes exponentially tougher. Get 'em while they're fresh.

I learned you don't want to let them bake on in the sun. Becomes exponentially tougher. Get 'em while they're fresh.
Taste better that way too. 🥸

Latest resources

Back