• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CamelWalker

RVF Regular
Greetings, friends.

I am a relative noob with a Class A Fleetwood. I have tried to open the roof vents to clean them and cannot get past what seems like a simple step. I've removed the four screws from the square vent moulding, the two screws on the sides of the screen, and the one screw from the crank handle, but no matter how hard I pull or twist, I cannot remove the crank handle in order to be able to remove the screen.

Please make me feel stupid and tell me what I'm missing.

Best,
CW

Most crank handles are on either a spline or a square and, over time, they become hard to remove due to dirt, corrosion, etc. You may need a tool like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AN0DRQ/?tag=rvf01-20

...to remove a stuck handle.

You could also try loosening the screw holding the crank in place by just a couple of turns and, while pulling down on the crank, lightly tap the loosened screw with a small hammer once or twice. If the crank doesn’t come loose, you need a puller tool.

TJ

Hey, TJ.

Thank you kindly for your reply.

I think you might be right. We have a 1998 model, and it looks like the vents might never have been cleaned! I'll try your suggestion, and if it doesn't work, I'll order that tool.

All the best,
CW

Another add suggestion to what @TJ&LadyDi said is to spray a little WD40 where the handle. I believe it is a spline on the Fleetwood.

When I clean them I use air pressure to blow any debris up and out of the vent to the top of the RV. I use a brush to clean any difficult ie. oily matter off the screen.with soapy water. I am hoping that others have vents that can be taken apart the way you desire that can help from experience.

Is there an allen screw holding the handle to the shaft? If so you'll never get it off without loosening the screw first.

If there is a split in the handle and there's a bolt tightening the handle to a splined shaft try sticking a screw driver in the split and twisting the flat blade screw driver while pulling on the handle.

Is there an allen screw holding the handle to the shaft? If so you'll never get it off without loosening the screw first.

If there is a split in the handle and there's a bolt tightening the handle to a splined shaft try sticking a screw driver in the split and twisting the flat blade screw driver while pulling on the handle.
Hey, EZ.

It's a regular Philips head screw/bolt. I can remove that easily. I don't see any split in the handle where a screwdriver could be inserted. I'm thinking TJ's suggestions of that tool might be the way to go. I ordered it anyway . . .

Hey, EZ.

It's a regular Philips head screw/bolt. I can remove that easily. I don't see any split in the handle where a screwdriver could be inserted. I'm thinking TJ's suggestions of that tool might be the way to go. I ordered it anyway . . .
If there is no split in the handle the screw is pressing some metal into the shaft causing a press fit. If you can't remove the handle after removing the screw you will need a puller like you are talking about. It may also be possible to put a large flat blade screw driver UNDER the handle and pry upwards to remove it. I would shoot some lubricant into the screw hole first.

A picture would sure help. Are you talking about a fantastic Vent?

Latest resources

Back