Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ruth baker

RVF Newbee
The CO monitor in my camper has alarmed twice in my new campsite. After the first alarm, I turned off all propane. The monitor alarmed high CO again. My camper is maybe 500 yards from a high traffic roadway. Could this be affecting the amount of CO inside my camper??

Being that far from the highway one wouldn't think so. Batteries off gassing have been known to cause false alarms, but yours should be outside the living space. That is strange that it alarmed after the propane was off. What was running on propane prior to the alarms?

Mine did that regularly. Turned out it was defective.

Another possibility is it is expired. If it was manufactured in 2016, it is now five years old.

Being that far from the highway one wouldn't think so. Batteries off gassing have been known to cause false alarms, but yours should be outside the living space. That is strange that it alarmed after the propane was off. What was running on propane prior to the alarms?
I was using the oven and stovetop when it first alarmed. The tank was empty when I started to make tea the next day so I closed both propane tanks. Later that night it alarmed again. It stopped when I opened the door and window.

Mine did that regularly. Turned out it was defective.

Another possibility is it is expired. If it was manufactured in 2016, it is now five years old.
The camper is a 2021 so built in 2020? I suppose the monitor could be older? Never had a problem until this campsite. The three before this one were a bit further off the beaten path.

Call the manufacturer if it continues, in the absence of propane or other gases. They replaced mine at no charge (2020 unit in 2020).

You can by a handheld volatile gas sniffer very cheaply, to confirm no volition gasses Are present when the alarm sounds. I keep one around. Very handy tool.

Call the manufacturer if it continues, in the absence of propane or other gases. They replaced mine at no charge (2020 unit in 2020).

You can by a handheld volatile gas sniffer very cheaply, to confirm no volition gasses Are present when the alarm sounds. I keep one around. Very handy tool.
Thank you!

Sometime back I sprayed the inside of our coach for bugs using one of those liquid pesticide with a hand spray. May have been Orthro Home Defense or Spectracide. In any case all was fine during application however about a day later the propane alarm started randomly sounding with all gas shut off. After another day or so all clear so pretty sure it was the bug spray.

Latest resources

Back