• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Cold weather package

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'd say it depends on what brand you're talking about.

I did lows of 0 for 4-5 days in my Montana. I had a heated hose so I had water but my dump valve froze.

Looking to live in travel trailer thru the winter. I’m in Alaska. While we build a house. Safe temp of Arctic package

Welcome from Georgia! What's a cold weather package? :ROFLMAO:

Adventurer brand supposedly has decent 4 season rating, but AK will test any RV's abilities. Plan on making your own adjustments.
Good Luck!

I don’t think there is one for Alaska all kidding aside. The problem I believe even in the best insulated and heated underbelly are the exposed black and gray valves that you will have to release every so often. Quite possibly as suggested you would have to improvise some sort of insulation on those areas to work because I know of no RV manufacturer that has it. I had a camping weekend once where the temps got to just under freezing and I ended up running a faucet with a trickle over night and left my gray valve open and even covered my exposed fresh water hose to assist a bit. It worked, but all the campers around me woke up to frozen water hose lines because they did not. I suppose Alaska will get much colder than just under freezing!

Back when we purchased our first RV (used Montana fiver) there was a Montana owner who did live in his year around in AK. You might go over and check the MOC (Montana Owners Club) forum and see if any of their contributors recall details from stuff he posted back around 2010 or 2011.

I'm certain you will have to not only skirt the bottom in, but you will no doubt have to insulate it as well down there, just too much exposed plumbing. Either the gate valves will have to be super insulated with a heat source or you will need to at least insulate them and use RV antifreeze in the toilet instead of just plane water is my guess.

It is one thing to stay in an RV with temps between 0 and 30 degrees for a couple weeks in the lower 48. It is a whole different thing to spend a dark winter in AK in an RV IMHO.

Latest resources

Back