Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DWATKINS66

RVF Newbee
My wife and I just purchased a used 2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 259FKDS. This is our first Forest River product and so far, we are really impressed with the build quality and design. One thing that I am confused about is the number of grey tanks and total capacity we can hold in gallons. The spec sheets all say this model has one grey tank @ 35 gallons. When I get under the trailer I can see two different grey lines running into a single discharge valve. One grey line is coming from the front kitchen area and the other is coming from the rear bathroom area. I also have a black line coming out of the read bathroom area to its own separate discharge valve. Having two lines converging into one valve would lead me to believe that we have two tanks but like I said, the spec sheet states one. Can anyone elaborate or help clarify what I am seeing?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Sounds like you have two Grey tanks.

You should have three tanks, 1 50 gal Fresh Water, 1 70 gal Gray and 1 35 gal Black.

Seems like if there were 2 gray tanks, they would have separate drain valves. If it all dumps with one valve, sounds like one gray tank. Like Leprechaun said, 1 black, 1 gray and 1 fresh water.
Holler if we can help with anything.
Ken

Your black and gray tanks will have separate drains to a point, then they come together to one drain and that's what you hook your drain line to, like a "Y"

My wife and I just purchased a used 2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 259FKDS. This is our first Forest River product and so far, we are really impressed with the build quality and design. One thing that I am confused about is the number of grey tanks and total capacity we can hold in gallons. The spec sheets all say this model has one grey tank @ 35 gallons. When I get under the trailer I can see two different grey lines running into a single discharge valve. One grey line is coming from the front kitchen area and the other is coming from the rear bathroom area. I also have a black line coming out of the read bathroom area to its own separate discharge valve. Having two lines converging into one valve would lead me to believe that we have two tanks but like I said, the spec sheet states one. Can anyone elaborate or help clarify what I am seeing?

Thank you in advance for the help.
I have a 2022 Freedom Express 259FKDS built in Feb. 2022. It has a 50 gal. fresh tank, 2 35 gal. grey tanks and a 35 gal. black tank. I wish the 2 35 gal. grey tanks were connected with a pipe so the volumes would be equal.
A couple of issues I’m not happy about:
A. The spare tire was mounted under the tongue which interfered with the hitch so, for now, the spare tire is in the bed of the truck.
B. The rear bumper is attached about 1/8” from the body of the trailer so a spare tire mount can’t be bolted onto the bumper. I’m going to have to have one welded on. A 2” hitch receiver is going to have to be welded on, too, for my bike rack. It was stupid of Forest River to not leave just 1” of space.
C. The trailer came with only one red plastic power shutoff key. If it’s lost or stolen the trailer is unusable and not towable. I contacted Forest River parts dept. today to order 2 extra...they don’t sell that part! They told me to have my dealer order it. I went to the dealer today expecting to pay maybe $5 for the plastic key that costs probably 10 cents to make…$25!!!! I ordered only one. A $49,000 trailer should come with an extra 10 cent shutoff key.
Not real happy with their customer service or bumper design!

I’m curious what is the shut off key? Is it the battery shut off? Yes CS is not good with most manufacturers. I recently had to work with Coachman ( owned by FR) they took care of us but is was a journey getting them to listen.

I have a 2022 Freedom Express 259FKDS built in Feb. 2022. It has a 50 gal. fresh tank, 2 35 gal. grey tanks and a 35 gal. black tank. I wish the 2 35 gal. grey tanks were connected with a pipe so the volumes would be equal.
A couple of issues I’m not happy about:

B. The rear bumper is attached about 1/8” from the body of the trailer so a spare tire mount can’t be bolted onto the bumper. I’m going to have to have one welded on. A 2” hitch receiver is going to have to be welded on, too, for my bike rack. It was stupid of Forest River to not leave just 1” of space.
Sometimes bumpers are very close to cut down on the things hanging on it. You may be surprised how much additional things like spare tires, bikes, coolers and other items affects the tongue weight. Anything behind the axles, takes away tongue weight. Also, not sure how thick those bumpers are and how much weld they will hold.
Let us know how we can help.
Ken

Latest resources

Back