Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

billley

RVF Regular
I don’t think I’m the only one with this problem but I haven’t seen it discussed on any forum. I have to carry medical supplies were ever I go. I’ve got a Class B, and as always, space is limited. The supplies are relatively bulky, about the size of a shoe box, and they will not tolerate heat. 85 degrees is okay, but I climbed in after the van can been sitting in the sun four hours yesterday and the temp was 118. The fridge isn’t an option because it doesn’t work unless it's on generator or shore power. An ice chest is all I can think of, but adequate size chest would be pretty big. I might be able to mount it the rear luggage rack, but this is Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Sitting back there in the sun would turn the ice into sloshing around water pretty fast. And these supplies can’t get wet either. Small 12 volt fridge? The ones I’ve seen have evaporator coils on the rear and I can’t believe they could be efficient in 118 degrees. So, what’s the most novel or least worst idea anyone can come up with?

There are some 12 volt ice chests. Might do a GOOGLE search for such items.

Thanks Bob. I did as you suggested. There are lots of review comments on these like, "Heats up my car," and "Only works if your air conditioning is on." You can't make the chest cold inside without putting the heat somewhere else.With a home fridge, the heat goies into the air conditioned home, not enough to notice a difference in room temp. With an air conditioner the heat is blown outside the house. Same with this, except "outside" is the interior of the van.

Igloo seems to be the favorite brand. The company's website says it will cool the contents to "38 degrees below the outside temperature." 118 minus 38 is still 110 degrees. The supplies include highly volatile solvents and other stuff that can stand maybe up to 85 degrees for a day or two.

I think I have to get the coach's inside temp down, use sunblock screens on the big stationary windows, and leave little side windows and the roof vent wide open. If there's no shade I may just have to run the generator or find shore power.

Oh yes, the process of cooling is always dissipating heat. So the heat has to go somewhere. Don't know what math you learned but; 118 - 38 = 80

Also, if you can duct the heat from the Igloo to blow out, it will help. They usually have a little fan on the side.

"Dometic" makes a refrigerator/freezer combination that may work.
A lot of folks put them in the basement area in their Class "A's".
And they are "12V/DC".
Check it out!

Definitely worth looking into. I haven't seen one of these up close but did notice the exhaust port in the photos. If there's a similar intake port I could duct that to the outside too, for times (often) when it's hotter inside the coach than outside.

Latest resources

Back