Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bobnjill410

RVF Regular
We did the unthinkable and cracked out induction cook top in our DSDP. Inquiring minds would like to know if anyone replaced there cook top and the does and don’t that go with it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
BobnJill.

I suggest contacting the vendor, I think the label is on the underside, and see what they can do for you.

Our Ventana started life with a propane cooktop. The only device using propane was the cooktop so we replaced it with a True Induction and removed all vestige of propane. While not exactly the same as your current situation, my experience would lead me to believe that changing from a broken true induction to a not broken one should be pretty simple. Just lift the old one out, unplug and plug in the new one. Ours came with a butyl rubber gasket installed on the backside of the glass lip that serves as a shock absorber between the glass and the solid surface countertop.

Unless you already know why the original cracked, I'd take time to try and understand what caused the failure and possibly take preventive measures before you install the replacement.

The cause of the fracture to the cook top is known and embarrassing but it is what it is. The true induction cook top seems to have some type of adhesive was hoping that I would not cause more grief by applying the force necessary to remove. Guess I should just pry it up and allow the “chips” to fly.

We've been afraid that would happen to our cooktop. So while at the factory we purchase a cooktop cover from the parts department. Looks just like the counter surface and it's hard to tell we have a cook top. It also gives extra counter work surface. I'm sure they have the for all models.

Bob, if you stated the year of your coach I may have missed it. We just removed our Kenyon International Inc. cooktop on our 2014 DSDP to replace the control board. I thought there would be some sort of bracing underneath the cooktop assembly but there was not. The cooktop was held in place with a 1/2" double sided tape between the glass top and the counter surface.

After applying painters tape to protect the counter surface where the glass and counter meet I used a #12 surgical scalpel blade to gently cut through the tape. At times I used a hair dryer to soften the tape and then proceeded to cut away little by little. Fortunately, I had access to the complete perimeter of the cooktop glass as it was not recessed. I removed the drawer just below the cooktop and applied gentle upward pressure. Once the cooktop was freed and control board replaced I used 3M 4056 Double Coated Foam Tape 0.5" x 5yd, Black from Zoro.com. Zoro #G4321353. Less than $22. Heat Performance Temp.: 50 Degrees to 220 Degrees F to secure the cooktop.

Hope you get yours out easily!

We bought our cooktop direct from True Induction. Same model as Newmar uses. I told them (True Induction) what I was doing and installed per their instructions. True induction did not say anything about using an adhesive but they were pretty specific about providing structure underneath so the glass wasn't supporting the the weight of the unit. They also had instructions regarding clearance around the outside of the housing so it would not cause the counter to crack when it gets hot.

Since we replaced the LP cooktop, I was able to modify the existing opening and retain the original stove top cover. I did learn quite a lot about working with solid surface countertop material. Now I can only find a stain to match the Wicker Glazed Maple cabinet finish.

Well, guess I’m no help...I was just gonna say piece of cake...lift it out, unplug it, and drop a new one in. A 15 second repair on a 2019 DSDP with the removable Tru-Induction. ?

I ordered from Amazon back in Oct. If we used one burner at 7 or higher, it would quit after five minutes. Tried to contact the seller but they would not reply. Filed a A to Z claim and got a refund and returned it. Went on line and ordered the same model from Lowes. Picked it up and installed it. Has worked great so far. As far as removing, I used a plastic putty knife and it removed somewhat easy. There was an adhesive on the edge of the the original.
I dropped a pan on the corner of the original one and it cracked into the burner area.

My whole unit is removable so it can be used outside, from the factory. I thought they all were like that, guess not. No issues with ours. I suspect if you talk nice to the vendor/manufacturer, you might get them to send new unit and ship back old one. It never hurts to ask.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back