Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Batman99

RVF Newbee
Not sure this is the correct forum but I’m looking for some advice.. planning a move from California to Florida in December, going through Nebraska so the middle of the country. Every RV park I check closed in September or October. So my question is how do I find places to empty the sewage, fill up the water, etc. on the way? Thanks for any help,

Chris

Welcome to RVForums @Batman99. I personally use AllStays for my campground search tool and sometimes as a backup use RV Trip Wizard. There are apps to also help you find dump stations, Cabelas is a place I'll hit near my RV storage location to dump. They don't have fresh water but you may be able to find some campgrounds using good search tools as some are open year round and others seasonal. I think All Stays Pro that I use may have a feature to only show open campgrounds, give it a try.

https://www.allstays.com/pro/camp-dashboard/

Why do you want to go that far north in the winter? Below freezing weather and snow can make your trip miserable. You would be better of staying in the southern states if you want campsites.

I agree with @Gronk; unless there is an urgent reason to go through Nebraska in mid-winter with an RV, I'd take the southern route and avoid a lot (but not all) of the winter hassles. If you MUST go through Nebraska, please allow plenty of time for delays.

Per Neal's suggestion to stop at Cabelas/Bass Pro stores, we have found that "some" of them do have both sewer dumps and fresh water. Sometimes, the fresh water is in a different location from the dump station.

And, as for locating dump stations, we have used Map of RV Dump Stations | Find a Dump Station Near You successfully.

TJ

There are plenty of Love's and Flying J's across I-80 in Nebraska also. I used several last month for fuel, dump, propane, and water (mostly non-potabal). Most of the rest stop areas are smaller and were full so we had to look for Walmarts to rest for the nights.

I-10 eastbound is a good route, we took it last spring from San Diego to Pensacola. Plenty of Flying J and Love truck stops to sleep at and dump. That time of year I think it’s even worth dropping south from Northern California on the I-5 to catch this route. Highly recommend a stop at Buckhorn Lake Resort in Kerrville, Tx to catch your breath for a few days. Great place to stop halfway.

Wow loving this forum thanks for everyone’s help.. was planning to go to Nebraska to visit family but after checking the average weather and seeing the feedback on here I’m thinking I’ll have to postpone that until the spring and just travel through the south. Any more recommendations are greatly appreciated thanks!!

All of that said it 100% depends on the weather.

and the possibility of a storm brewing up out of nowhere. The plains can be very unpredictable.

I'd be very hesitant going as far north as I-40.

Latest resources

Back