RV Model
Dutch Star 3858
RV Length
38 ft
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
No
Curious, do Motor Coach Manufacturers send you a Customer Satisfaction Survey after you buy a new coach?
Do they send you one when you have warranty work performed?

Curious, because auto manufactures and dealers live and die by these surveys.
I constantly read that you can expect a number of concerns to happen with a new coach. That that is just part of it.
I constantly read that the buying experience is a nightmare. Price gouging on all sorts of "must have" "coverages".

I find this unacceptable.

As a GM Service Manager, I have fired techs and service writers over constant bad CSI surveys.
I have seen dealers not be renewed because of constant bad CSI surveys. Granted these dealers had more problems besides bad CSI surveys.
But, in the end, customers have a way to compare manufactures and dealers by their customers opinions.

And manufactures make sure the public knows that they are the best when the advertise.

I am a Honda Dealer and the RV business is a whole different world. If I ran my dealership the way the RV dealers run their dealerships and treat customers the way they do, and if Honda built cars the way RV's are built we would all be out of business. So point being, don't expect a survey. LOL

Newmar did reach out after we bought our 2017 and I wasn’t happy with the dealer, I let them know. I never heard from the dealer trying to resolve any of my concerns. Surveys are great if someone reacts to them, useless otherwise.

Scott is absolutely correct. Here is how I keep the whole RVing experience in perspective because you can't compare the quality, pricing, or customer care with the auto industry. They are two totally different animals.

My theory applies to large watercraft also. So you purchase a 2021 43' Dutch Star for $424,000. You think you killed it because the dealer knocked off 20% from the MSRP of $530,000. You expect a high quality product and dealership support above and beyond what you have ever experienced. I mean, let's face it this figure is about 5 times what you have ever paid for a nice vehicle. Here is the problem, you just gave the dealership $424,000 for an RV that they paid the factory somewhere between $220,000 and $240,000 for. The factory buys a ton of custom chassis/motor/tranny units for probably around $70,000, throws a 350 square foot house on top of it with a few appliances, and ends up only spending between $150,000 to $160,000 to produce that shinny new Dutch Star.

Now then, driving off the lot in a coach that actually only cost around $160,000 to produce does sort of lower one's expectations a little.

I got a phone survey after purchasing my coach and it's well known my dealer is one of the worst on planet Earth (McGeorge's Rolling Hills RV - now a Camping World company) but I bought prior to Camping World acquisition. I firewalled the lowest ratings across the board, it meant nothing. Newmar isn't going to stop selling there and nothing is going to change how the dealer works. What we need is to be able to educate the community, our peers, on where to and where not to buy.

Latest resources

Back