Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Dealers, I recommend your delivery process be a two day minimum. Having done the Newmar Factory Pickup (FPU/CPU) which is a week long education and coach checkout, I think one day is insufficient training and inspection for anyone. In my opinion Day 1 should be coach overview and interior systems training. The customer can sleep in it that night and document any findings, day 2 would then be education on exterior systems. If a customer needs longer, give them time, otherwise if they choose to depart on their journey that's up to them. There is no way I could understand all systems in one day as a new RVer or experienced RVer in a new coach with different systems. Proper training is important to customer success and enjoyment and will probably reduce phone calls back to the dealer once they depart.

I would also be happy to provide RVForums.com cards etc. if you wish to put in your coaches so they have a community and family to reach out to for instant help 24/7. Email me at neal AT rvforums DOT com if you would like a supply of RVForums.com cards or brochures.

This would be awesome. My wife applied for a job at a very large multi-state dealership for their "new RVer ambassador" position. Sounded good until she found out they wanted to limit the new RVers to just 20 minutes of orientation before sending them out on the road.

I agree 1000%. Even with a week at the factory, a major design flaw and catastrophe on day 3, after the first test drive. Then the inverter died on the way home - day 7. This is at the top of the gasser food chain.

Fortunately, on the last coach, the biggest major mishap happed at the dealer. At the time to drive it out of the bay, on delivery day, one jack would not retract. It took two technicians several hours to find the problem.

On the first camping trip ,two days later, I opened a bay door and saw the ground below. The bay floor had pulled away from the body of the coach. I am sure there are millions of incidents like these happening all of the time.

Even if one got no sleep for two days, one cannot learn everything and find everything in such a short time.

We also opted for the Newmar Factory delivery. Granted this is unusual for someone purchasing a gasser BUT I insisted because this was our first RV.
Granted I researched RV operation ad nauseum, and had been employed by a large public company managing the financing of RV dealership inventory for years, but wanted to get info straight from the Factory personnel.
It was the best $5000 dollars spent for a week of learning and operation. We lived in the RV at the Factory, and each morning the Factory Tech came out and started a day of education promptly at 6 a.m.
By Friday we both had learned each system, test driven the RV on public roads, 4 corner weighted the unit, and were comfortable with how to operate the RV.
Even if you are an experienced RV owner, each unit has enough unique systems that it is imperative to understand the operation, and be taught by a competent technician.

FWIW, the dealer still insisted on charging us $500 RV prep fee...

My $0.02...

I purchased my Newmar DS 4023 from Central Florida RV Center. Their tech, James, spent 2 days with me doing exactly what you stated. One day on the external workings and operation and the second day on the internal operations. When I drove off the lot I felt much better then when I first drove on it to look at their inventory,

I did a Newmar CPU and most recently a dealer PDI. I believe all RV purchasers deserve a quality delivery of their new rig. I also believe it can be scaled to the complexity of the unit purchased. A place on lot to set up and use the rig for at least 1 to 2 nights, with punch list items corrected prior to departure. We moved from a gasser to a dp. Even after researching the web and forums, what we didn't know we didn't know was an issue. Dealers trying to rush the paper chase and get you off lot as fast as possible is not the recipe for success.

I did a Newmar CPU and most recently a dealer PDI. I believe all RV purchasers deserve a quality delivery of their new rig. I also believe it can be scaled to the complexity of the unit purchased. A place on lot to set up and use the rig for at least 1 to 2 nights, with punch list items corrected prior to departure. We moved from a gasser to a dp. Even after researching the web and forums, what we didn't know we didn't know was an issue. Dealers trying to rush the paper chase and get you off lot as fast as possible is not the recipe for success.
I was wondering if you are Old Bubblehead as in Submariner (Bubblehead)?

Attachments

• 14522740_659443627554735_2022309672540129318_n.jpg
    14522740_659443627554735_2022309672540129318_n.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 8
I was wondering if you are Old Bubblehead as in Submariner (Bubblehead)?
Yes, retired A-ganger. Qualified in Gato, also served in Skipjack, Silversides, and Minn-St Paul (MSP). With tours in AS-40 (38A shop) and NAVSUBSCOL.

cheers,
j

I'm retired TM/SS/DV. Served on 4 boats Bonefish, Clay, Ray and Key. I retired in '05 with a twilight your at NOTU Cape Canaveral. FL... SALUTE BUBBLEHEAD...

Thanks for your service guys! :love:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back