Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins ISX12 (500HP)
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep GC Summit Reserve
Fulltimer
Yes
My wife tells me I need to stop reading these forums. Yesterday I was reading about DEF head failures and thinking how fortunate I was not to have had any problems. This morning I started up the coach to move from one side to another and the check engine light came one. Looked up the codes and sure enough they are DEF related.

I called Spartan and they confirmed that the codes indeed indicate a DEF head failure. Fortunately I have an appointment at North Trail for a week from today for the awning bracket modification. Spartan indicated that they could get the replacement part there in time. I spoke with North Trail and they will take care of the replacement next week. I understand these codes will cause a derate. I’m hoping I have no issues driving the 50 miles.

That’s a bad news, good news story with the appointment next week. Spartan chassis?

Yes, Spartan K3 chassis.

The issue seems to have occurred at a convenient time and hopefully I’ll be more relaxed knowing that the DEF head has been replaced with a better unit and within the warranty period.

Welcome to the club of many!
Good news: they have them in stock and you’re not a victim of COVID backup that caused many to wait months.
Bad news: you have to wait!? We broke down in Utah and Spartan Fedex’d the part and CoachNet service got us going in 2 days (thanks to Sunday).
Good news: it won’t derate you for at least 50 miles.
Bad news, or good news depending on your perspective: They MUST ship the part to an authorized mechanicit’s a 15 minute repair! ?
Good news: Spartan is now in GEN 6 for that head...so “I’M SURE IT WILL BE FIXED THIS TIME”...after all, as the saying goes...6th time is a charm’

I have to go now; my tongue is bleeding.

Tell your wife to let you keep reading into your future. At least you’ll have the comfort of not thinking “why am I the only one?” ?

Good news: I got a call from Spartan late yesterday afternoon. The part has shipped and and will arrive at North Trail today!

Good news: North Trail confirmed they can do this work during our appointment on Tuesday.

Bad news: I'll probably worry about a derate during the 50 miles drive, even knowing that's its very unlikely.

My wife tells me I need to stop reading these forums. Yesterday I was reading about DEF head failures and thinking how fortunate I was not to have had any problems. This morning I started up the coach to move from one side to another and the check engine light came one. Looked up the codes and sure enough they are DEF related.

I called Spartan and they confirmed that the codes indeed indicate a DEF head failure. Fortunately I have an appointment at North Trail for a week from today for the awning bracket modification. Spartan indicated that they could get the replacement part there in time. I spoke with North Trail and they will take care of the replacement next week. I understand these codes will cause a derate. I’m hoping I have no issues driving the 50 miles.

Do you recall what codes you got.

I am getting a SPN1761 which refers to my DEF gauge that zero's out and turns on the SES. But it is not accompanied by any other codes. Spartan does not feel that the head is the cause on this. I have been contemplating just replacing the head to make myself feel better, but I was told it would not derate with just that one code. I was advised to remove the head and inspect it for old Urea that may have crusted up while it sat new at the dealer lot. This is on a 21 Dutchstar 4310

I received codes: 3364-9, 1761-9, and 3031-9

Latest resources

Back