Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Me_again

RVF Regular
Our 2nd ac unit was making noise last trip. Went onto the roof and sprayed wd and lube on the motor shaft connecting the fan. This trip, yesterday it worked fine but after shutting off the ac and turning it back on maybe 1/2 hour later, nothing. There is a minor amount of air coming out but really just a trickle. However, the compressor comes on.
Does this sound like a motor, capacitor or something else?
Not sure where do diagnos the system. Appreciate any help.
TIA

If the compressor really is coming on, then it isn’t the starting capacitor or the motor. I suspect, however, that what you think is the compressor coming on is more likely the fan. And, it will move the small amount of air you mention. If that’s the case, then the starting capacitor is a prime suspect. You could also have a motor issue in that case.

Is it possible that you’ve had a a small critter inside the unit chewing on the wires? If so, one of the wires could have shorted or broken. I would first look for bad wires. If they are OK, this is probably not a DIY fix. Don’t mess with the starting capacitor unless you are very familiar with working on them. Even a “bad” starting capacitor can store a lethal charge of electricity!!!

TJ

Thanks, appreciate the response. Usually when the ac "on" light happens from ping ponging from on-shed, we hear what sounds like the compressor kick on. I'll definitely look into a starting capacitor, but you maybe right in getting an expert.
Thanks again.

Can I use a normal ac guy or an rv mechanic?

Last edited:
I have found that once a fan motor starts acting up it is only a short period of time before you are replacing the fan motor. I had the same type issue on one of my A/C units. Motor replacement is pretty easy. Just make sure you get a new run capacitor too.

Thanks for the reply.
I replaced all 3 capitors and worked fine for a day. Next day wouldn't turn on again. I do believe your right the motors gone. I can't make out the label on the motor, it's so faded and old. I found the model number and emailed the company, just hope I get a response. Thanks all for your help!!!!

W W Granger is a good source for motors and capacitors. Check the yellow pages or Google for a nearby location. Always suggest taking the old parts so they can match up exact replacements. Economical too.

Bob

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back