Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Lobo

RVF Newbee
Question regarding how full should a diesel tank be during long term storage. Still want to start engine once a month. Near empty, 1/2 full, full? Additives or no additives.

I have always heard to keep it full during storage. Less chance of condensation inside of the tank.

Last edited:
Conventional wisdom and my practice is to have a full tank when the rig is parked for any length of time beyond a few days. A full tank prevents condensation and it’s associated ills. I also put a few ounces of bioguard in the tank.

It appears great minds think alike @skychs.

As others have said, we store with a full tank of fuel. And, we run the engine and generator for 30 minutes each on a monthly basis.

TJ

Always, always store with a full tank, even if the tank only requires 15 gallons or so. My Rv is my safe shelter in case of a disaster such as an earthquake or serious storm. A full tank gives me lots of generator run time if ever necessary. And, I agree with the possible condensation problem.

I add a biocide various times throughout the year for added protection to ensure no algae etc. grows.

Amazon.com: FPPF 00119 KILLEM BIOCIDE 16 OZ. BOTTLE, TREATS 1920 GALLONS OF DIESEL FUEL PER BOTTLE: Automotive

If storing in a cold climate you may want to consider Powerservice supplement to avoid gelling

https://www.amazon.com/dp/POWERSERVI/?tag=rvf01-20

biocide.pngdfs.png

Latest resources

Back