Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Different wood "flavors" for pellet grills (smoking)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Can anyone tell a difference in the wood types when smoking? Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Mesquite oh my...but I can't tell any difference in my crude attempts of cooking on a pellet grill. What are the expectations?

I can never tell the difference. The DW swears she can. We stopped at Mad Jacks BBQ in Cloudcroft NM for an incredible famous BBQ. The chef/owner said he would only use a specific oak for his smoker and drove all the way to Texas every so often to bring back a load. Go figure.

Wood matters! I’ve been smoking meats for a bunch of years and have been blessed to have access to a good variety of wood. My favorite is brisket and Costco has provided an excellent control mechanism for checking out wood with their prime grade briskets. My all-time favorite is pecan, from the tree in my former backyard - mellow and sweet. Each type of wood gives the meat its own personality, and woods can be combined to make some very special flavors.
A friend of a friend recently blew his travel trailer to tiny trailer parts with a propane accident and I made a new commitment to my all-electric coach to house no propane. So, I offed all my propane cooking devices and signed-up for an electric pellet smoker. Now, I’m having to start over with my wood knowledge because wood pellets don’t seem to come from trees. I smoked a brisket with apple pellets and it was tasty, but not real-wood tasty. So, more work is in order…but that’s not all bad.
So, wood matters, but I’m finding myself in new territory. I’d love to hear from the wood pellet authorities on RVF. Anyone?

I always did brisket with pecan from my orchard.

Now that I am fully converted to pellet, I have been mixing cherry and apple woods. The combo seems go give very good flavor.

I refuse go use hickory, oak, or mesquite....that is just too common.

Being the ever annoying nerd, while I like the taste of smoked meat, I am distrustful of prepared items like manufactured pellets. There appears to be little if any regulations for the manufacturer to follow or verify quality of product.

If your wood comes from a known source like an owned orchard, that is much safer IMHO.

For the novice like me

Last edited:
I always did brisket with pecan from my orchard.

Now that I am fully converted to pellet, I have been mixing cherry and apple woods. The combo seems go give very good flavor.

I refuse go use hickory, oak, or mesquite....that is just too common.

I have always used a smoker with wood from my hunting lease. Oak. Smoked everything including our own family recipe for deer sausage. Now that I full time, I have bought a wood pellet grill. Has been a learning curve on what works best. I agree with the thoughts on wood pellets. Seems to be a vague answer to what they are truly made of. I am currently using cherry. Just finished a pork tenderloin. Very tasty. I’ll put it this way… haven’t tossed anything out yet!

With my stick burner, I always used oak with a very small amount of mesquite and I mean small. I've tried just about all of the varieties of wood and suppliers for my pellet smoker and I honestly cannot tell the difference in any of them.

Timely info for me. I've been smoking with an old school smoker that wasn't expensive and is rusting out. It uses charcoal and actual split logs. I've tries all kinds of wood but it's store bought "kiln dried" and I've not been impressed. I finally got my hands on some actual air seasoned hickory and thought I had it. Meh.
I once drove past someone's house and from the road I could tell that they were smoking pork with hickory. I always wanted whatever they were doing but don't seem able to duplicate it and basically gave up. I've been against pellets because I thought I could do better with regular wood. Evidently not.
So when I saw a pellet smoker/grill giveaway cheap last week I bought it. Last year's model or something. I haven't even unboxed it yet. But I have wondered what pellets to try. I appreciate this thread, at least I have an idea now and it saved me hunting through barbecue forums.

I don't know the brand of smoker you bought, but I have a Green Mountain smoker and they have a good Facebook group page. It's nice to have a go-to page for recipes, etc. Smoke on and remember, if you're looking you ain't cooking so keep the lid closed.

Latest resources

Back