RV Year
RV Make
Georgetown
RV Model
Forest River GTX
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Sometimes I have to park right next to a sidewalk which prevents my automatic steps from fully extending. Does the rig come with some type of kill switch to prevent the steps from extending at all? If not has anyone here installed one on theirs?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t know about the Georgetown specifically, but most coaches don’t have a switch to prevent the step from extending when the door is opened. Our coach (and, I suspect, others as well) has a switch to prevent the step from retracting when the door is closed, however.

I think the reason for no switch to prevent the step from extending is one of liability with the manufacturers fearing that someone will forget the step is retracted and fall because the step is not there.

TJ

Last edited:
I’ve not done this, but it’s not too complicated to add a switch to the power wire that feeds the step controller. You would be enabling and disabling the entire step controller with a switch. 2 wires and a switch.

I’ve not done this, but it’s not too complicated to add a switch to the power wire that feeds the step controller. You would be enabling and disabling the entire step controller with a switch. 2 wires and a switch.
Thanks.

I don’t know about the Georgetown specifically, but most coaches don’t have a switch to prevent the step from extending when the door is opened. Our coach (and, I suspect, others as well) has a switch to prevent the step from retracting when the door is closed, however.

I think the reason for no switch to prevent the step from extending is one of liability with the manufacturers fearing that someone will forget the step is retracted and fall because the step is not there.

TJ
Thank you.

Often thought about this myself. I have to park facing the wrong direction in front of my house, in order to be able to exit.

If you have a Kwikee Step

Check here for a very informative video: Kwikee Step diagnostics video

There is a four wire loom that feeds the steps.
White is to the step lock-out switch,
Yellow is to the ignition lock-out switch,
Brown is to the door switch.
Red supplies 12 volts DC to the controller. It is this wire (red) that you would cut and provide a switch for enabling and disabling the power to the step controller.

If you have a Kwikee Step

Check here for a very informative video: Kwikee Step diagnostics video

There is a four wire loom that feeds the steps.
White is to the step lock-out switch,
Yellow is to the ignition lock-out switch,
Brown is to the door switch.
Red supplies 12 volts DC to the controller. It is this wire (red) that you would cut and provide a switch for enabling and disabling the power to the step controller.
Thank you!

...and another thought...if you find the fuse that protects that circuit, then confirm that it is alone on the fuse, you could pull the fuse out to disable the steps. No wire cutting or modifications required. Once found, put a tie-wrap around the fuse as a ID bracelet and a puller handle. Then, if you want to be real creative, you could make a switch from a fuse tap and a couple more items from the auto parts store to replace the fuse.

Dangerous, really dangerous. If you modify the steps I would advise you only use the steps in this way. If you have ever stepped out of your RV expecting steps that were not there than you understand why the way you use your steps should be the routine and the norm. It has been over 7 years that I had such a mishap I am still having to deal with a shoulder problem. I am lucky I always grab the step rail.

Latest resources

Back