RVF Expert
RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
Hey all, wife and I have been discussing the possibility of getting a satellite tv set up. I have been reading that Dish is a much better way to go than DirecTV so I am looking at Dish. What programming option would be best for someone who full times and may be anywhere from Minnesota to Washington to Florida and probably Maine at some point? How about local channels no matter where you are? How much do you wind up paying for your service? Where would be a good place to get receivers (2) and an antenna something like this: DISH Tailgater Pro Premium 2 Receiver Satellite Antenna Bundle With Wally Is that a fair price? It has been MANY, MANY years since I had DIrecTV and that was when you had to purchase your own equipment from places like Sam's Club!

What channels do you like is where I'd start and then see what programming lineup has what you like to watch. For me as I like the Smithsonian channel (Discover and Food network) that lands me in the 250 channel package. I currently have locals which is $12/mo, you can change your programming at any time and it will prorate you or bill you now for the changes if an upgrade. Great system. If you have a good OTA antenna setup, you can get great locals for free. I'll do locals when it's NFL season and when there may be something on I want to watch on prime time television.

I have two walley boxes, they have RF remotes which is nice. You really need to pick the box that suits your need, you may want to call Dish (great customer service) and ping them for suggestions. I'd just buy direct from Dish personally, I don't think the prices are much different elsewhere and I know I'm getting good stuff.

The nice thing about Dish is if you don't care to watch TV just don't pay the bill, deactivate autopay, and the service suspends. Pay up to resume at any time. I watch more YouTube personally than TV as it shows me my interests and I have decent Internet so I can stream from there. I cancelled Netflix after their last price hike and also as I haven't watched a movie in a year. Again, I'm all YouTube right now (and subscribe to that).

Dish is good, no complaints from me after 4 years of it.

As @Neal stated, first determine what channels you want to watch. I made a costly mistake when configuring my Dutch Star. I had a Dish Network-configured Winegard Travl’r installed without realizing Dish does not carry HBO. They also do not carry the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN), which is the only network that covers my baseball team. Those would have been dealbreakers. So now I have an expensive yard ornament sitting on top of my MH and I’m trying to get a quote on replacing the Winegard with an RF Mogul sat dish.

We don't watch any sports channels!! Shocking, I know, but most of what we would want are standard family type shows similar to basic cable. OTA works for most of what we watch, so maybe we don't want Dish? Dunno......... Wife doesn't want to spend $60+/month for programming.

Was a long time DISH customer when we lived in our stick & bricks house. For the additional $7.00 a month for another receiver on the RV I was generally pleased with the service. Prior to becoming full timers in December, 2019, we explored 'cutting the cord' from cable TV/satellite TV. In essence, we streamed our TV over the internet connection into the house. For significantly less money each month for DISH service, we were able to have a larger selection to programming. We used a combination of ROKU's, SLING, TABLO & over the air broadcasting distributed throughout the house over our network. When we went full time, we replicated as best we could, a similar network on our RV. We have been very pleased with it.
Of the satellite services available, I would say DISH is the most RV friendly.
However, I worked from my home & I knew I would still need reliable internet connectivity as a full timer in the RV. Instead of paying for internet & satellite service like I did in the stick & bricks home, I now pay a little less (on a monthly basis) for cellular internet connectivity.
I'll be the 1st to admit there are advantages & disadvantages to both setups. It appears from your post you may need to acquire satellite equipment (receiver(s), antennas, possibly distribution boxes & wiring) if you decide to go with a DISH setup.
Would encourage you to explore 'streaming' (google 'cutting the cord' or similar search) to determine is this might be a viable options for you. Mobile Internet Resource Center has free information & reviews of various equipment and data plans that support internet connectivity.
Good luck.

Was a long time DISH customer when we lived in our stick & bricks house. For the additional $7.00 a month for another receiver on the RV I was generally pleased with the service. Prior to becoming full timers in December, 2019, we explored 'cutting the cord' from cable TV/satellite TV. In essence, we streamed our TV over the internet connection into the house. For significantly less money each month for DISH service, we were able to have a larger selection to programming. We used a combination of ROKU's, SLING, TABLO & over the air broadcasting distributed throughout the house over our network. When we went full time, we replicated as best we could, a similar network on our RV. We have been very pleased with it.
Of the satellite services available, I would say DISH is the most RV friendly.
However, I worked from my home & I knew I would still need reliable internet connectivity as a full timer in the RV. Instead of paying for internet & satellite service like I did in the stick & bricks home, I now pay a little less (on a monthly basis) for cellular internet connectivity.
I'll be the 1st to admit there are advantages & disadvantages to both setups. It appears from your post you may need to acquire satellite equipment (receiver(s), antennas, possibly distribution boxes & wiring) if you decide to go with a DISH setup.
Would encourage you to explore 'streaming' (google 'cutting the cord' or similar search) to determine is this might be a viable options for you. Mobile Internet Resource Center has free information & reviews of various equipment and data plans that support internet connectivity.
Good luck.
Lemondrop, yes, I would need to acquire all the equipment, but I am also wondering about the programming packages. Far as streaming, I would need to purchase a hotspot and pay for that service too. Most of the time I use the campground wifi so steaming may be an issue......... I'm not in any hurry, so I can explore my options such as not getting any satellite. Very rarely have we had any issue getting the major networks over the air.

I had a Dish Network-configured Winegard Travl’r installed without realizing Dish does not carry HBO.
I didn't know that DISH doesn't carry HBO and I was going to make a switch on new coach. I better check that out more thoroughly. Thanks for mentioning that.

Latest resources

Back