• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Retired

RVF VIP
Fulltimer
No
To remove the spare tire on my 06 Fleetwood Flair, I have to lie on the ground behind the coach, reach up and remove 6 bolts.

That loosens the rear panel that has the license plate, fuel fill and backup lights.

Then I have to disconnect everything.

The panel is approx 2'x4'. Once the panel is removed, the tire slides out the back.

The tire on the rim looks really old and it looks like it has been on the road.

I'm wondering if I should even carry a spare. I have roadside. The tires are new and I will not let them get any older than 5-6 years.

On a steel 19.5 wheel and tire, thats got to be 200# of weight I could use somewhere else.

Do you carry a spare?

No, but if I were going to Canada or Mexico, I would carry a mounted and balanced spare. In the US though, most roadside services can bring you a spare. Will make their arrival take longer though as they now have to hunt down a spare on your behalf and go get it before coming to you, that’s certainly going to add to the expense so just be ready to buy a new tire at a moment’s notice.

We do - peace of mind.

Mine did not have one when I bought it. It was used by the previous owner I believe as I saw damage from a previous blowout and one odd tire on the back axle. I bought a new rim and matching tire and used the odd one as the spare. Mine has a winch system to raise the spare into its storage space. I also carry chocks, blocks and socket set to take the lugs off.

When I had a Class A gas (37') I did not carry a spare, nor did I carry one with my DP (43'). Those large tires were just too heavy and I always figured roadside service could provide a spare or repair on site.

On all my fivers I carry one. On any trailer toad I have always carried one. But those tires are manageable and can be changed without road side service.

To remove the spare tire on my 06 Fleetwood Flair, I have to lie on the ground behind the coach, reach up and remove 6 bolts.

That loosens the rear panel that has the license plate, fuel fill and backup lights.

The panel is approx 2'x4'. Once the panel is removed, the tire slides out the back.

I'm wondering if I should even carry a spare. I have roadside. The tires are new and I will not let them get any older than 5-6 years.

On a steel 19.5 wheel and tire, thats got to be 200# of weight I could use somewhere else.

Do you carry a spare?
Not only do we carry a spare tire, but more importantly, we have a tandem tire jack that makes tire changing much easier. There are various names for them.... “Easy Up Jack”, “Roll up Jack”, etc. They are designed for tandem axle trailers and work well on our RV or horse trailer. And because the good tire rest in the depression, you eliminate the possibility of a standard jack tilting over.

Attachments

• 43C013A5-1245-4E6D-A7A1-B09F797169B0.jpeg
    43C013A5-1245-4E6D-A7A1-B09F797169B0.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 10
I carry two spares. One for the truck and one for the trailer. I just recently had to use the trailer spare. Saved a lot of time not waiting for road service.

Do you carry a spare?
When we got our MH years ago I negotiated tires in the deal. The tires they chose were a discount tire store tire. After a year or two, if the rig set for a couple of weeks a tire would get a bubble on the sidewall. I carried a spare and used it a bunch.

Discount replaced a couple sets for me over the years I used the coach all under warranty. Discount stopped handling the tire size I had and stopped mounting the tire for safety concerns.

When I changed the tire I used the levelers as the jack. I have a gasser.

For the record, the tires in question here were 19.5, would I carry a spare? Unequivocally yes!!!

Latest resources

Back