Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Do you have a handicap-accessible Newmar?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MJRV

RVF Regular
I’m a RVForum newbie looking for an obscure answer from owners of Newmar handicap-accessible models (XX11). Our new 2022 Kountry Star 4011 has an optional bed base that it turns out is too tall for my 90-year old mom. Despite measuring close to her bed, the base is too rigid and she cannot manage it get up on it, even with two thinner mattresses we tried. We now know that XX11 coaches come standard with a lower height bed base, but no one at Newmar has been able to tell us how much lower it is. If you have a Newmar accessible coach, can you please measure the height of the bed base (floor to the top of the platform, where the bottom of the mattress sits)? Please tell me what year and model, the height. If it’s low enough, we will order it! Thank you!!

We have a 3911, the bed is for some reason high. We've learned to live with it. A small step stool might help.

I've heard talk of a lower bed option but have never been able to verify that one exists.

We have a 3911, the bed is for some reason high. We've learned to live with it. A small step stool might help.

I've heard talk of a lower bed option but have never been able to verify that one exists.
I wish we could make a step stool work. She is unable to step up, uses a walker for transfers from her wheelchair. Only reason I know there is a lower option is I saw the build sheet with the ‘full height bed base option.’ $747 for something the dealer specified, and we ultimately wish we didn’t have. The Kountry Star brand consultant didn’t know there was that option either.

I would think that your existing base would be pretty easy to alter to get the height you need.
We haven’t looked beneath the storage area yet, to see what other mods might be needed if a carpenter modified the base. Prefer to keep it stock, if time permits.

Pretty easy to confirm by just lifting up the bed and seeing how much clearance there is from the top of the bed frame to and components below. I’m sure the factory just makes a frame that is shorter by cutting the standard one down. Considering the current insanity in sales volume it will be close to impossible to get a special one from the factory and then you will still need to find someone to install it. A local qualified finish Carpenter or Tech could have it done for you dramatically faster and it would be the same as what the factory will provide. You may want to at least have someone look at it for you

Looking at my bed, this mod is not something I would trust a dealer tech to accomplish. There are a number of considerations prior to cutting the bed frame. If you want this done I'd consider the Newmar Service Center for the work.

There are three felt-lined covers with finger holes beneath the bed, and I cannot get them out. The narrow, center one is definitely secured somehow, as it won‘t budge at all. I will definitely consider having a finish carpenter take a look.

I tried calling the Newmar Service Center (outside Houston, not at a dealer location) for scheduling warranty repair (coach was delivered with a bad awning motor), and I was told they do not have warranty certified technicians…. what’s up with that?

The Newmar Service Center I was referring to is at the Indiana factory location. Nappanee, Indiana

Well shoot, I thought I'd posted a response to this last night....sigh....but anyway, we have a 2018 Newmar Ventana 4311; the measurement you asked for---floor to platform---is 15-1/2". It is pretty easy for me to transfer to and from the bed and my wheelchair.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back