Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Always looking for ways to reduce stress while operating the RV. The latest addition is docking lights. While we always try to arrive before dark, in fact well before dinner time, sometimes it is just not possible. Invariably the times we arrive in the dark, it is a narrow back in camping spot.

So wishing to be able to see more obstacles, docking lights have been installed near each wheel.

Question: How often do you use your docking lights or if you do not have them, wish you did?

Joe

docking lights.jpg

Last edited:
Like you, @Joe Goodxrvn, we rarely arrive at a destination after dark. That said, we frequently use the docking lights after dark when expecting visitors or taking the dogs out. They don’t light up the whole area like the security lights, but provide good ground lighting near the coach.

When we first got the coach, we didn’t use them just because we weren’t used to doing so; our previous coach didn’t have them. Once we tried them, we were sold and now use them frequently.

TJ

Always looking for ways to reduce stress while operating the RV. The latest addition is docking lights. While we always try to arrive before dark, in fact well before dinner time, sometimes it is just not possible. Invariably the times we arrive in the dark, it is a narrow back in camping spot.

So wishing to be able to see more obstacles, docking lights have been installed near each wheel.

Question: How often do you use your docking lights or if you do not have them, wish you did?

Joe

View attachment 5498
Where did you get those put on? I am looking for the same thing.

I would also like to add docking lights. Didn’t realize the “recessed docking lights” option actually meant “docking lights” when ordering. Now I get in a tiff every time I see a post about docking lights.

Joe

View attachment 5498
I like that!! ;)

The RV is at Classic Coach in Ormond Beach FL. This is among many upgrades and repairs that are being completed by the shop. I'll develop and publish some videos when the work is completed.

The dock lights are relatively simple up grade.

Lights and switch here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSIMY81/?tag=rvf01-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJQ7738/?tag=rvf01-20
Classis Coach Works is who did all of our updates on our coach!! They did a great job. Tell Alan that Curtis and Crystal Smith said hello!

I was thinking ofenquiring at one of the shops that puts all of the fancy lights and chrome on big trucks.

If you look at factory installed docking lights, they point at 45 degrees toward the rear. If you light up your surroundings perpendicular to your rig, it's not helping you see behind your rig as you back in. We have factory dock lights plus major backup lights at the top rear of our coach.

If you look at factory installed docking lights, they point at 45 degrees toward the rear. If you light up your surroundings perpendicular to your rig, it's not helping you see behind your rig as you back in. We have factory dock lights plus major backup lights at the top rear of our coach.
Ahhh. They are on the high dollar rigs. I wonder if Newmar would put them on my Baystar.

Currently I am using magnetic lights on the frame. NYS does not allow rear facing white lights that are not part of the backup light system, so it would be nice to have them integral to the coach. I knoe the factory ones are recessed, but frankly any light on the sides would help. On my previous class C I had the awning lights on the passenger side (awninbg did not have to be out to use them) and the scare light on the driver side. Both helped tremendously, when backing into my driveway at night.

While they are at it I would also have additional marker lights added to the sides as, well as directional marker lights near the front tires on the sides.
Maybe I could start the BayStar Aire.?

Latest resources

Back