Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Does anyone service their ratchets? Disassemble, lubricate, or even rebild?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
This is my favorite ratchet which has served me well for many, many years. Recently I disassembled it, cleaned and lubricated it. Works like new. There is even a rebuild kits available for this ratchet if the gears become worn. I respect rebuildable things in this throw away world...

Anyone perform tasks like this on their tools?

Attachments

• IMG_5643.jpg
    IMG_5643.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
This is my favorite ratchet which has served me well for many, many years. Recently I disassembled it, cleaned and lubricated it. Works like new. There is even a rebuild kits available for this ratchet if the gears become worn. I respect rebuildable things in this throw away world...

Anyone perform tasks like this on their tools?
It can be rebuilt. But if nothing wrong with it just take it apart, clean it, lube with lite oil and put it back together. Don’t use grease. It you think that’s nice check out an 80 tooth Snap-on unit.

I must admit, I had never thought of doing it, @JoeHogan. I have always bought top-quality tools and some of them are now more than 50 years old. I have never had a ratchet fail, or even get balky, so never thought about the need to rebuild them. Out of curiosity, I'm going to look at my ratchets to see if they are rebuildable.

TJ

The ratchet pictured here has been in service for 40 or 50 years with me. An occasional cleaning and lube keeps it in top shape.

Wow. My Craftman ratchet lasted about 40 years and the ratchet mechanism failed. I never did anything but use it. :unsure:

Here in the desert we have dirt/dust/sand problems. Almost anything here will clog up with dirt and become stiff. A good soak in soapy water and an air gun will make most things work again. After cleaning with soap and water using good brush, let them dry and spray with Teflon spray lube. In the past I used silicone spray lube, but the teflon keeps on working for a very long time and is dry to keep dust from collecting in the future. Well within reason.

Wow. My Craftman ratchet lasted about 40 years and the ratchet mechanism failed. I never did anything but use it. :unsure:
I have mostly Craftsman tools also. The older ones are much better than the new ones. Different manufacturer. However, Craftsman will replace the ratchet for free for life. I've never had a 1/2" drive or 3/8" drive fail but I've had two different 1/4" drive ratchets fail and both were replaced with out any hassle whatsoever. As long as this is the policy I see no need in taking them apart for maintenance. Chances are I would screw something up and cause a failure myself!! lol.

I have mostly Craftsman tools also. The older ones are much better than the new ones. Different manufacturer. However, Craftsman will replace the ratchet for free for life. I've never had a 1/2" drive or 3/8" drive fail but I've had two different 1/4" drive ratchets fail and both were replaced with out any hassle whatsoever. As long as this is the policy I see no need in taking them apart for maintenance. Chances are I would screw something up and cause a failure myself!! lol.
The new Craftsman and other DIY/hobbyist grade tools appear to be inferior to the older models of similar brands. Consequently another reason why I keep the older tools maintained.
If I need to buy a new tool, I try to step up to a professional brand such as Milwaukee.
Not big on mechanic "Tool Truck" brands. Tool Truck brands, due to expense of that business model, forces tool price to excessive levels.

The new Craftsman and other DIY/hobbyist grade tools appear to be inferior to the older models of similar brands. Consequently another reason why I keep the older tools maintained.
If I need to buy a new tool, I try to step up to a professional brand such as Milwaukee.
Not big on mechanic "Tool Truck" brands. Tool Truck brands, due to expense of that business model, forces tool price to excessive levels.
I'm not exactly your typical DIY/Hobbiest that you would normally think of. I have built many cars and trucks and motorcycles from the ground up, including drag race cars. I have a 6000 pound scissor lift in my garage. Welders, plasma cutters, $3000 12 HP 80 gallon air compressor with magnetic start, etc, etc. Lots of Craftsman air tools as well. I have put them to the test!! I have had some of these tools for 40 years and I can count the failures on one hand. I've managed to break 3 sockets and two 1/4" ratchets. All were replaced at N/C with zero hassle. I can't imagine paying the Snap On, Matco and Mac tool prices since my Craftsman tools have held up so well. It's a shame Sears has all but gone out of business but I can still get Craftsman tools at Ace Hardware and Lowes so I'm happy.

Unfortunately, ACE Hardware does not honor the craftman warranty. They say you have to take it to Sears. Imagine that.

Latest resources

Back