• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Sonshine

RVF Newbee
Hello all,
New to this sight, but been full-time RVing going on 17 years. Been RVing since I was 20. 63 now. I have a 5th wheel, 56' 2012 Recreation by Design, Monte Carlo. It has Dometic A/C heat pumps front and rear. I have replaced them a total of four times. Typically, they just won't cool and I find an A/C line has cracked and leaked all the freon. Being they are less than high quality (necessary for full-timers), IMO, it is cheaper to just replace the units. This time I have what seems to be a unique symptom. From the off position, I select cool on the thermostat (fan is on auto), set the cool at 72, and it comes on normally, runs, cools, and cycles approx. three times, shuts off, and will not come back on until I shut the thermostat off, and select cool again. I am looking to see if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a specific direction I need to look, or a specific part that causes this problem. I would really like to get this fixed long before the heat of summer shows up. ;) I am an electrician, if that should help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Welcome to RVF @Sonshine. I assume you're replacing with new units? As you stated you're an electrician but I wonder if something electrical is the cause such as insufficient power for the units? Some of us install Micro-Air soft starts to help ease the voltage spike.

Welcome to RVF @Sonshine. I assume you're replacing with new units? As you stated you're an electrician but I wonder if something electrical is the cause such as insufficient power for the units? Some of us install Micro-Air soft starts to help ease the voltage spike.

Yes, it has always been new units. That is a good suggestion. If it is the unit, which I suspect it is, I will add a soft start. Thank you.

Latest resources

Back