• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

J2999

RVF Regular
Hi everyone,

I’d like to add a fan (or two) to the fins inside of our small tt refrigerator to help keep it cool, especially in the summer heat. I’ve noticed that our food is mostly chilled, but not super cold. I’ve also seen that fans intended for this tend to get pretty poor reviews (like the camco airator).

I think I could figure out how to DIY using a computer fan rigged to some power source but really don’t have any experience with that sort of thing and can’t find any instructions.

Does anyone have any tips or instructions on the best way to go about this?

Since I don't really know the specifics of your refrigerator, I can only offer some general comments on things I learned in cooling electronic equipment.

First, look for either a 12VDC or 120VAC fan. My preference would be 12VDC. Many computer fans are designed for 5VDC operation.

Second, set up your fan so that it pushes warm air out through the existing warm air outlet rather than pushing cooler outside air into the refrigerator compartment. You want to enhance the existing warm air exhaust flow rather than creating turbulence.

And, don't position the fan where it blocks any of the designed air flow. Again, you want to enhance the designed airflow, not disrupt it.

TJ

I’m not sure which model it is. It’s in our Forest River FSX 197BH travel trailer. Can’t seem to find that info online either.

Latest resources

Back