Winnebago
RV Model
24V
RV Length
25' 6"
Chassis
MB Sprinter 3500
Engine
Hello fellow travelers, hope this finds you all well. I am still in a holding pattern with receiving my new home on wheels (Jan/Feb 22) but am trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. I think I have chosen South Dakota for domicile (RV will be purchased in Iowa) which is why I am reaching out to you all. I was thinking of using Escapees services! ANY advice, knowledge or tips would be appreciated. Everything seems kind of strait forward, but I am looking for experiences with (travelling full time 9 – 10 months for the most part) health insurance. I know everyone's needs are different, but knock on wood, I am relatively healthy, visit dr. when needed, have yearly checkup/tests, but health is the reason I’ve decided to start this new chapter in life, since NO ONE knows what tomorrow will bring us. I don’t want to be one of those that says, well I should have! With that said, I see SD has primarily Indemnity Network and Wellmark Blue, anyone with knowledge of them? Obviously, being able to have some sort of coverage nationally (emergency stuff) is important. Currently have BS Cal thru covered Cali since I have been unemployed, I can’t complain about the price. In the end, it’s my choice but I appreciate learning from others as well as teaching when I can.

Thanks for your time, stay safe and keep smiling ?

KH

Hey there KH. Picking the right health plan can be a mine field. I suspect you are not Medicare age yet. We are on a managed Medicare (UnitedHealthCare PPO) plan. We needed a PPO plan because we travel all over the country. In addition I was just accepted into the VA health care system. Good luck in your research. Health insurance in one of the biggest issues for full time RV travelers IMHO.

There are only a handful of States that are favorable to establish domicile in when becoming a full timer. I assume you have already studied that issue since you are talking about SD. We knew that we would spend most of our winter months somewhere in Florida so for us it just made sense to become Florida residents. We have been very happy with that decision and for over 10 years it has worked perfectly. I know from talking with other full time RVers who are FL residents their health care insurance was a lot cheaper than the State they came from. Just something to think about and maybe investigate further.

Hello fellow travelers, hope this finds you all well. I am still in a holding pattern with receiving my new home on wheels (Jan/Feb 22) but am trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. I think I have chosen South Dakota for domicile (RV will be purchased in Iowa) which is why I am reaching out to you all. I was thinking of using Escapees services! ANY advice, knowledge or tips would be appreciated. Everything seems kind of strait forward, but I am looking for experiences with (travelling full time 9 – 10 months for the most part) health insurance. I know everyone's needs are different, but knock on wood, I am relatively healthy, visit dr. when needed, have yearly checkup/tests, but health is the reason I’ve decided to start this new chapter in life, since NO ONE knows what tomorrow will bring us. I don’t want to be one of those that says, well I should have! With that said, I see SD has primarily Indemnity Network and Wellmark Blue, anyone with knowledge of them? Obviously, being able to have some sort of coverage nationally (emergency stuff) is important. Currently have BS Cal thru covered Cali since I have been unemployed, I can’t complain about the price. In the end, it’s my choice but I appreciate learning from others as well as teaching when I can.

Thanks for your time, stay safe and keep smiling ?

KH
Welcome to the full-time life, KH! We, too, travel the country full-time in our RV. We also chose SD for our residence. We contacted Dakota Post in Sioix Falls, and they walked us thru everything and made the whole process of getting or PO box, drivers licenses, vehicle registration and license plates sooo easy. We found out best deal on vehicle insurance (coach and tow) thru FMCA, and they placed me with Progressive.
Health Insurance - I have Medicare, but my wife, who is not yet eligible, has stayed with BCBS.
Have fun, and safe travels! Ed

Latest resources

Back