Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I'm 0 for 4 campgrounds in getting SAT to work due to trees. For those holding out for SAT Internet, better have your backup plan figured out i.e. cellular!

Are you trying to use Starlink or Hughesnet? Or are you talking about SAT TV?

SAT TV is not in Low Earth Orbit. Neither is Hughesnet for that matter. Those satellites orbit at around 22,000 miles, while Starlink satellites are in Low Earth Orbit and are less than 1,000 miles.

Of course, because they are so close their angles of attack relative to the surface of the earth are going to be more acute and only able to serve a smaller geographic area, which is why Starlink needs so many.

Once they get enough nodes in orbit, I think it will really be a game changer for rural areas. It’s true that like any sat system, they are susceptible to line of sight issues but with their planned capabilities to use laser relays, this should be fairly minimal.

That said, Starlink will never be able to serve large urban environments. That is where cellular, 5G, and traditional fiber and cable will hold market while Starlink conquers rural areas.

Particularly of note of that the vast majority of the world is what we in America would consider a rural area. Meaning not built-up into a concrete jungle with mile high skyscrapers. This means that at scale, Starlink coverage will serve the rural minority in America but the rural majority everywhere else.

I’m bullish on Starlink. Tesla I suspect will fail or get acquired at some point.

Last edited:
Valid point - this is SAT TV. 2 of the 4 would work for more vertical SAT orbits with clear above, 2 were obstructed such as current location. Oddly current location had a partial lock at parking, I stowed and moved forward a few feet as my Dish finder app shows a clear path to the SAT but I guess Dish needs reference points to find the ultimate azimuth and it's not happening. I gave up.

IMG_3281.JPG

I hate trees!

Latest resources

Back