Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I've read in newsletters and don't doubt it, people are booking reservations with intent to cancel. It's like hoarding toilet paper in the pandemic, we are seeing it in campground reservations. With minimal cancellation fees such as $10 at KOA (or 0 if VIP member like me - I use them a lot) it's a minimal risk situation to reserve early and cancel as the time nears.

I had one gap in my trip to Denver from Aug 11 - 15. Good thing I didn't settle on some far off land as I thought I was going to have to do. I even called this KOA Friday or Saturday to see if they had a wait list, they did not. This morning I took a poke at the reservation system again and bam, 1 site was available all of the sudden.

Booking early is good and bad. If you're booking somewhere you don't really want to go, it may pay to wait. As time nears sites may open up as people that are hoarding sites will cancel. That's my theory at least and in the case this morning the wait worked. I'm 10 days out of that location and finally got lucky.

If this is truly happening, it would be nice if people would stop so those of us who actually will go don't have to worry about potentially not getting sites.

I have had to cancel a few times due to family or family medical issues. I don’t make reservations where I don’t intend to go. I hope this does not continue, as it will drive up the price of cancellation. There is one place I no longer go because of the high cancellation fee. Way too risky.

I've often thought this was a typical practice with many reservation-based vacation locations. I've called the day of arrival to get a spot at a location that was otherwise unavailable.

I'm guilty of this, but not as a practice or planned.

We drove from Austin Tx to central NH with no reservations and always found something acceptable when we were ready to stop. I think one reason was that we stopped early, around 3pm, so there was more general availability. Things always seemed to fill up by 5:30 or 6pm. This also made for relaxed afternoons, a little nap before pulling out the grill, and feeling rested the next morning as we set out for another 350-400 mile day.

We were somewhat concerned on Sat July 2nd (very busy weekend) but got in to Williamsport/Nittany Mountain KOA on a cancellation (veering back on topic) that was immediately filled by someone arriving Sunday for several days. So we lucked out since we only needed Saturday night. Also the pull-through section there is away from the main camping area so we enjoyed a nice, quiet evening, which would have been impossible in the main camping area.

In central PA: https://koa.com/campgrounds/williamsport/albums/
I only have one pic from it but you can see from the view, the pull through section is on the edge of the park in a pleasant location over-looking a field where folks can run their dogs off leash and just enjoy some open space.
6E013EAA-6246-4A16-9E5D-A1754D647F89.jpeg

And this proved yet again as I was having a problem getting out of the Dallas area and heading east. I thought I was going to have to hop Harvest Hosts until Sunday and then find a place to stay for a few days until the already reserved next spot. Today I searched yet again as I needed a plan and sites opened up for where I was looking to stay 5 nights. So don't give up, as the time nears things may in fact open up.

If this is truly happening, it would be nice if people would stop so those of us who actually will go don't have to worry about potentially not getting sites.
Yes, it really happens. We went to a "No Refund' policy at Deer Springs RV Park because this practice has gotten totally out of control. I guess the larger parks can take the hit, but our small 8 site park can't afford this kind of nonsense.

We had three spaces at a campground that books solid months in advance. Unfortunately there was a mechanical mishap and one RV couldn't make it. We let the campground know to let the space go. Some folks came in the next day and I asked them how they got the spot. (After telling them why it was open.) They said they just didn't give up and kept checking the system. Title of the thread made me think of them.

We went to a "No Refund' policy at Deer Springs RV Park because this practice has gotten totally out of control.
But if they offer to detail your coach then….? By the way where are the pictures of your new rig parked at Deer Springs?

By the way where are the pictures of your new rig parked at Deer Springs?
It's at the mothership, making sure that the FWS was repaired correctly when it was done a couple of years ago. I seems to work well, but there was a broken tile on the far left side, and Newmar wasn't able to tell us exactly why unless they took it to the shop and started digging around.

Latest resources

Back