Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Finding a suitable toad vehicle is problematic for me. Trying to get my hands on a Ford Maverick appears improbable due to availability and pricing. Dealer called me the other day with a new basic Maverick XL. He wanted $6100 over the the $24000 MSRP. Hmmm...no thanks.
Orders for the 2024 Mavericks starts July 17th. These Ford order events have typically closed within hours due to limited supply of new vehicles. Appears Ford is limited supply of certain vehicles for some reason. They can't give away F150s recently.

All that said, I don't need or particularly want a 4WD vehicle nor a complicated routine to put a vehicle in TOW Mode. Prefer something very basic but reliable and comfortable.

So with that in mind, what about a basic 2WD, rear axle vehicle like a two wheel rear drive Jeep wagon or basic extended cab pickup. Add a driveshaft disconnect and done. The vehicle must have readily available Tow base plate and flat tow braking system kits available.

Anyone tried this approach?

A sample driveshaft disconnect might be this REMCO style disconnect Drive Shaft Coupling - New Replacement Drive Shaft Building

Setup on 4WD is pretty simple, generally put transmission and transfer case in neutral, remove computer by battery disconnect and then transmission in park. (Simplified but takes me 30-45 seconds)

I think you would find drive shaft disconnect or a lube pump more problematic. I’ve had no experience with either but did research this approach 10 years ago.

Towing a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler is super simple
1. put transfer case in neutral
2. Put transmission in park
3. Pull key out and I’m done
MG Engineering makes a super simple under the hood braking system.
Tow gear is readily available.

Yes I agree a 4wd Wrangler is simple to tow but for me the Wrangler doesn’t work. Too high for me to get in/out of and very limited space to use. ive tried most 4wd vehicles that can be flat towed with similar problems, too high.
this is why a base hybrid Maverick works, I can get into and out of it easily with some room for passengers and cargo.

Some RAM pickups have an air suspension. My 1500 does not. However the claim is it lowers to allow easy entry. 4x4, mine is for street use, and is fairly low to the ground. With the air suspension may be your ticket.

I’ve looked into air suspension but that as an option is only available on high end models. Or you could go aftermarket but then you are at risk of design issues and installation issues. In my opinion too expensive and complicated. Buy a good thought.

I didn't realize Ford was still gouging prices on some vehicles, what goes around comes around and I hope it burns the dealers engaging in such practices very badly! Someone on here somewhere wrote the old Honda CRV, the last one available with a manual transmission was a great TOAD as you just leave the transmission in neutral and that's it. A driveshaft disconnect does sound like it would open up many possibilities with the limiting factor being readily available tow plates and braking systems. A driveshaft disconnect sounds like a great idea but given the small market, I would imagine it would be expensive and take a proprietary kit for each application. Still likely less expensive than adding unwanted 4x4 to whatever you settle on and the associated fuel penalty that goes along with 4x4 vs. 4x2.

Like @NWIP I have a Chevy Colorado. Have you looked at those? Also consider tire selection to help with your situation.

Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. The electric driver seat can be raised or lowered for ease of entry/exit. I like the Demco hidden base plate which will attach to any tow bar. Add a diode light kit and brake system of your choice. Setting up to tow is push a button to put the transfer case in neutral, then transmission in park. I can have the Trailhawk or Wranger ready to tow in about 5 minutes. Even less to disconnect.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back