RV Length
43 ft
Chassis
Roadmaster RR10S
Engine
Cummins 400 ISL
TOW/TOAD
2010 Ext. Cab Silverado 4x4
I currently pull a 41 ft Montana 5th wheel with a crew cab long bed Ram diesel dually.

We're moving to a 43 ft. Monaco Camelot 42pdq. Going to be pulling a 2010 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 with 6 1/2 ft bed.

I haven't moved the Monaco out of the shop yet and the last motorhome I drove was a 1971 26 ft Travco that I had decades ago.

Looking for tips on driving this thing, it looks like I'm actually sitting a little bit in front of the steer wheels or at least right on top of them. I've read not to start your turn until your hips are where you want to go but that's all I've read.

Thanks but I won't be going to driving school. I don't like the idea and the nearest one is 2 hours away. I figure by the time I got there I'd pick up enough to get me by without spending God knows how much money.

Just looking for tips from people who went from big 5th wheels to big motorhomes.

#1, you won’t be able to backup When towing wheels down.

The one tip that helps me the most is you are sitting on the wheels so unlike a car you have to further into the intersection before turning. Another tip would be to find a spot on the windshield to line up with the line and the shoulder of the road that centers you in the lane. I also found on the first dozen or so days we limited our travels to under 250 miles a day since it is stressful getting used to driving a motorhome.

We went from 38 foot gasser to 45 foot DP. Gizmo has some great advice. Watch your speed. these things can run pretty well on the hwy, but doesn't mean you should. Took awhile before turning felt right. Use mirrors and cameras (if equipped) to confirm your place in lane and clearance on turns.

Slower is faster.

The biggest difference between a 5th wheel camper and a 41' Class A is that the Class A doesn't bend in the middle. You'll see what I'm talking about the first time you try backing into a campground site without running over everything on both sides of you or turning a corner at an intersection in town. Gas stations are fun too. You have to look way down the road or into the parking lot before pulling in to make sure there is room for you to turn around.

Fish:
A good rule of thumb is, in a tight turn, when your have to get your rear end in and not wack the object you are trying to get around is start your hard turn when half of your coach passes the object. This is especially helpful when trying to line up your coach at a regular gas station. There are many motor homes with bent and banged up bay doors because the MH driver started his turn to early.

Also note when pulling a toad, you will have to go a little farther before you start your turn. I always watch the end of the Jeep after I make my turn through my side mirrors. It will follow the MH because it will bend or turn at the hitch.

Believe me sooner or later you will be pulling a toad behind your MH. That is a whole different discussion.

HH

Fish:
A good rule of thumb is, in a tight turn, when your have to get your rear end in and not wack the object you are trying to get around is start your hard turn when half of your coach passes the object. This is especially helpful when trying to line up your coach at a regular gas station. There are many motor homes with bent and banged up bay doors because the MH driver started his turn to early.

Also note when pulling a toad, you will have to go a little farther before you start your turn. I always watch the end of the Jeep after I make my turn through my side mirrors. It will follow the MH because it will bend or turn at the hitch.

Believe me sooner or later you will be pulling a toad behind your MH. That is a whole different discussion.

HH
I have a 2010 Silverado 4x4 extended cab with the 6 ft 6 inch bed I plan on pulling behind the motorhome.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back