Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
As some know I had a little engine issue, which is resolved, but I had to re-route and not go to Ouray and instead go to Pagosa Springs which was the next stop after Ouray (Colorado). If I left Breckenridge (Frisco) direct P.S. all would have been fine time wise, about 4 hours. I instead decided to head to Denver towards the service center I would have had to use if I needed further service and then head south with options of staying anywhere along I-25. With my first Red Bull in hand, not sure where it came from as I never drink them, I continued. Nagged Pagosa Springs (Wolf Creek) with non stop "I'm coming, I'm not coming, I'm coming, I'm not coming" as plans kept bouncing through my head. I wanted to just get there and park and not risk this engine situation again.

I fueled up at a T/A right where I leave I-25 to head west, or so I would learn. I had in my mind I'd be on the highway much of the journey going this route so traveling late would be fine. With a GPS estimated arrival of 8:15-30 I figured I'd still have light. Oh how poor planning reveals its ugly head yet again. One great thing about an Apple Watch not only is not missing critical phone calls but also info such as sunrise/sunset. I looked down and saw 7:25'ish sunset and thought oh boy, civil twilight about 30 minutes of light, then hopefully some light left - nope! wrong.

As I left the T/A and headed west I went into some mountains, hills more or less, and all along the way thought to myself pull over and enjoy some boondocking, call PS and tell them No, I'm not coming for real. With the mountains the sun light is a different issue, obscured obviously AND going into the sun. Ugh. I continued and got beyond the mountains/hills and it flattened out. Now my fear is DEER, I knew I had one with my name on it, luckily I didn't hit one but did see plenty. Lots of opportunity to stop along this route but I continued.

And it gets dark and RV headlights suck, fortunately I changed mine out and I only travel with brights on which is close to "expected normal" and no one cared. All worked fine, crazy big up and down grades but I got here.

If you're sitting in your coach watching TV and you have a neighbor arriving at night, GET OUT AND OFFER HELP. I have a back in site and I'm solo and it all worked out but I sure could have used an extra set of eyes. My neighbors just watching with windows open enjoying TV. I'm glad I didn't hit anything....

I kinda would have liked to see the sand dunes, maybe another day. But yet another eye opening travel log for the books. Arrived 8:25 PM - but about 85% moon so that helped.

Look at the bright side…it’s much easier to see those “check engine lights” in the dark. 😅🥹

I have trouble driving at night these days and try to avoid it. But it still happens from time to time. So I had a remote controlled spot light (GoLight) installed when I was at Nappanee (saved a bundle on some other stuff so I treated myself) and I installed an LED flood/spot on the rear cap roof tied into my back-up lights. I try not to arrive after dark but when I do, I light up the night.

So while others may find all this bright light a bit obnoxious (those folks who can’t tear themselves away from the tube for two minutes), I really like being able to see everything in my path, plan the best way to maneuver, and use my mirrors and back up camera at night. The factory back up lights are about useless to me. I also upgraded the headlights to M4 products LED units which greatly improved my night driving safety and comfort.

I am all for bright lights when driving or maneuvering into a spot. Our coach has 2 halogen lights on each side and 1 on the back, if I ever have to back in when dark I plan to use these.

I have trouble driving at night these days and try to avoid it. But it still happens from time to time. So I had a remote controlled spot light (GoLight) installed when I was at Nappanee (saved a bundle on some other stuff so I treated myself) and I installed an LED flood/spot on the rear cap roof tied into my back-up lights. I try not to arrive after dark but when I do, I light up the night.

So while others may find all this bright light a bit obnoxious (those folks who can’t tear themselves away from the tube for two minutes), I really like being able to see everything in my path, plan the best way to maneuver, and use my mirrors and back up camera at night. The factory back up lights are about useless to me. I also upgraded the headlights to M4 products LED units which greatly improved my night driving safety and comfort.
I put these headlamps in mine, much better than what Newmar used:

These should be a factory ption on all coaches.

These should be a factory ption on all coaches.
The GoLight spot light is (or was) an option on Essex and King Aire. Nice little upgrade for my Ventana. I even had it painted to match the top of the front cap since the coach was in the paint shop anyway.

As some know I had a little engine issue, which is resolved, but I had to re-route and not go to Ouray and instead go to Pagosa Springs which was the next stop after Ouray (Colorado).. . .
I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading this. Reminded me of the day (night) we rolled into Pensacola RV park. It was dark, was a real bear getting backed in, but I learned how to do it next time.

Glad to hear it worked out OK for you.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading this. Reminded me of the day (night) we rolled into Pensacola RV park. It was dark, was a real bear getting backed in, but I learned how to do it next time.

Glad to hear it worked out OK for you.
He kept us that way all day yesterday too…

Latest resources

Back