RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutchstar 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CRV
Most of basement doors have a plunger switch that is supposed to turn off all the lights when the doors are closed. Like a car door.
I tested them yesterday, and it is not happening? Today will be trying to figure out what is going on. Most likely one plunger switch is not
interrupting the circuit? My work sheet of things to fix is going into page #2 🛠

@Buly All staying on or all staying off? On my 2015 Ventana there was a rocker switch by the entry door that controlled the bay lights. I don't recall if there were plungers also. Anyway thought if you have a rocker switch that perhaps it got switched.

I have the same problem with my London Aire. As they goof up and get out of adjustment I have been replacing them with magnetic type switches.

My LED light strips in the pass through and center bays will stay on with the doors closed if I leave the rocker switch on. The rest go out when the plunger switch is depressed. But they all go off with the rocker switch off so I’ve just lived with it as is. Maybe when all the other little projects are done....

Scott - got an example or link for those magnetic switches?

My LED light strips in the pass through and center bays will stay on with the doors closed if I leave the rocker switch on. The rest go out when the plunger switch is depressed. But they all go off with the rocker switch off so I’ve just lived with it as is. Maybe when all the other little projects are done....

Scott - got an example or link for those magnetic switches?
Here ya go. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YVG637M/?tag=rvf01-20

@Buly All staying on or all staying off? On my 2015 Ventana there was a rocker switch by the entry door that controlled the bay lights. I don't recall if there were plungers also. Anyway thought if you have a rocker switch that perhaps it got switched.
George, the rocker switch controls all of them ON or OFF. But if the rocker is ON, The led's should come ON only when any basement door is open, and shut them OFF when all are closed.

Mine has the rocker switch inside and individual switches on each light, No door switches. I keep them on all the time. Helps with keeping the rodents out as they don't care for the light if they find their way in there.

How are the magnetic switches wired to interrupt the current to the light?

Leaving them on all the time is ok for LED, but incandescents could melt down the fixture if left on indefinitely, not to mention the rather excessive resultant parasitic load. Ive converted most of mine to LED but will have to check them and make sure they are all LED. Then Ill probably do this too as rodents are always a concern. For now I treat them all to a little Decon but Id prefer to discontinue this practice.

Latest resources

Back