Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Chevy Silverado
Fulltimer
Yes
Hi guys-New member and new Dutch Star (2016 4369) owner here. Owned a Tiffin Phaeton for 9 years and decided to upgrade. I am having a problem getting the DEF door to latch. We came home to find it open. All doors were auto locked prior to us leaving, but apparently this door was not latched. Now when I try to close it it won't latch nor will it latch/lock automatically. I've lifted the exterior handle several times with no success (this always worked on Phaeton). All other doors seem to latch and lock properly. Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Welcome to RVForums @Lowelifes - great to have you join the gang here and also the Newmar Owners Club. The door latches are prone to failure sadly and it's important to inspect ALL of your doors and latches. You can remove the black plastic cover and inspect the latch system within and that may offer an indication as to the problem such as the pull cable has separated, etc. People have also installed additional pull cables to open the doors in the event of a latch system failure and not being able to get the door open. Again, this is something that should be high priority for inspection for all Newmar owners due to people not being able to get doors open (or the reverse).

Welcome to RVForums @Lowelifes - great to have you join the gang here and also the Newmar Owners Club. The door latches are prone to failure sadly and it's important to inspect ALL of your doors and latches. You can remove the black plastic cover and inspect the latch system within and that may offer an indication as to the problem such as the pull cable has separated, etc. People have also installed additional pull cables to open the doors in the event of a latch system failure and not being able to get the door open. Again, this is something that should be high priority for inspection for all Newmar owners due to people not being able to get doors open (or the reverse).
Thanks Neal for your reply and what appears to be a great site! I took the panel off of the DEF door and the panel off of another functioning door. They appear to be the same without any damaged parts. Newbie solution solved the problem...slam door much harder than the rest! Thanks again! Jerry

Thanks Neal for your reply and what appears to be a great site! I took the panel off of the DEF door and the panel off of another functioning door. They appear to be the same without any damaged parts. Newbie solution solved the problem...slam door much harder than the rest! Thanks again! Jerry
LOL - the slam...yep, sometimes. You can adjust the D-ring that it latches to. I think it's 7/16 for the wrench, you can move it as needed such as out slightly so you don't have to slam which can damage your door as I did to my house battery door slightly as it doesn't line up as good as it should.

If you have to slam the door too hard, the receptacle part that is attached to the door frame with two 1/4” bolts has to be adjusted. Loosen the two bolts with 7/16 wrench and bring the slotted plate out a bit. I had to do the same thing to couple of doors that opened while traveling.
The latch was not engaging fully and popped out.

If you do decide to adjust the “d” ring put a piece of masking tape along the bottom and side prior to loosening. This will give you starting points in case you move it too far and can’t get it right.

Latest resources

Back