Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rosie

RVF Regular
I’m new to this site. We are NY “snowbirds” hanging in Phoenix, Arizona area. I’d like to go to Moab, Utah and possibly southern Colorado before we head east in early April. We are pulling a 28’ travel trailer behind a Ford truck. Is going to these destinations possible without driving on steep and super curvy roads? We drove west mostly on Route 40 but I’d like some other adventures on our way home. Route suggestions or other suggestions?
Thanks!!

In April is all about watching the weather and having "Plan B" ready to execute." Snow storms/blizzards are not uncommon on the western slope or the front range in April/May.

I’m new to this site. We are NY “snowbirds” hanging in Phoenix, Arizona area. I’d like to go to Moab, Utah and possibly southern Colorado before we head east in early April. We are pulling a 28’ travel trailer behind a Ford truck. Is going to these destinations possible without driving on steep and super curvy roads? We drove west mostly on Route 40 but I’d like some other adventures on our way home. Route suggestions or other suggestions?
Thanks!!
Rosie

You have basically three different options.

1. The most direct route from Moab is I-70. AVOID THIS INTERESTATE ON WEEKENDS. You would be fine from Grand Junction up to Frisco. From Frisco to Denver (70 miles) would take you 3-4 hours if you hit the road after noon. It would be a nightmare with an RV. Stop and go for 70 miles. You still have to go over Vail Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel, both passes are above 11,000 ft.

2. Hwy 160 above the New Mexico border. If you want to see something interesting in Southwest, CO check Mesa Verde National Park. I don't even know if they are open this early in the year. Even if they were, many places will be closed because of trial maintenance and stabilization. It is a very fragile area.
If you were to do this trip later I would recommend you also Crested Butte, Lake City, Ouray. Too early for those areas.

3. Hwy 40, on the north side of the state. When you get to Granby coming from the west you go through RMNP instead of heading south towards Berthoud Pass. Still curvy and steep in some areas.

Regardless of which route you take you are probably at least 4-6 weeks TOO EARLY for Colorado unless you are bringing skis and snowshoes. Regardless of the route, it will be scenic (in this order and in my opinion) Hwy 40 through RMNP, Hwy 160, I-70.
Most campgrounds are closed until May 15. Sometimes we get snow in Denver in Mother's day. Check with CDOT (Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation) to learn about road conditions. I-70 is your best option if you want to be done quickly with the crossing but keep in mind that you will get from about 8,000 to 11,500 no matter how you slice it. It is called the Continental Divide :) Vail Pass is an easy drive, not much traffic, there are potholes on the road but it is ok. After Frisco you climb very quickly up to 11,500 ft. to cross the tunnel. From there is all downhill to Denver. If you don't pass Frisco before noon, do not even try it. You will regret the traffic. Yes, we ski sometimes into early May in the backcountry. Lots of people on I-70 E after 1 PM. Wait until a weekday.
Word of caution: before you get to Denver, after passing Conifer/Evergreen pay special attention to the steep grades. You will go from 9,000 ft. to 5.800 ft. in about 5 miles. In spite of the huge yellow signs warning you about the steep grades inexperienced truckers have the brakes on fire (sometimes literally) after done with last hill. We see them all the time stranded on I-70.

Bottom line: I-70 will be your safest and quickest crossing but you still have to be ABSOLUTELY sure that conditions are safe for RV's. Weather changes in a matter of hours at that elevation. They keep it open all the time unless there are avalanches or rocks on the highway. It does happen often. From Grand Junction east it is flat and exposed. If you get caught in a blizzard there you will remember it for quite sometime :)
RMNP, way too early. Very beautiful though.
Weather wise, the Hwy 160 alternative will be the warmest. If you have the time, you could take a detour and visit Taos, NM. Once you reach I-25, it is all flat, boring, 75 mph highway. all the way up to Denver.
If you want to enjoy this crossing, wait for another 4-6 weeks at least. Know that March is the snowiest month of the season, April is a close second. When we plan that early in the season and we do, it is not uncommon to have 15" of snow in one single storm and then you trip is rescheduled.
I hope this information helps. It is not meant to scare you but people not familiar with CO don't take things seriously when it comes to weather. Most of us take weather very seriously in Winter and Summer. I rescued a few people in both seasons in the past.

The last time I travelled I-70 W out of Denver was 1980. How is the traffi
Gotta get on I-70 not later than 6.30 AM. Get to the ski area. Ski until noon, have lunch, turn around. If you don't, expect to spend 3-4 hours to cover that 70 mile stretch between the tunnel and Denver. Some groups still want to promote Denver with the Winter Olympics............yeah, we need more people here.

I am going through the same thought process. I'd like to see some new territory, specifically Moab. I've looked at routes going east from Moab and most can be troublesome in April. Not always, but very possible. A couple years ago we got trapped in southern CO with a snow, ice and wind event that I do NOT want to experience again. April 10th!

So, I am again giving up on Moab as an April route home. My plan (as of today) is from Apache Junction, go up US 60 east through Superior, Globe, Show Low, Eagar and turn north at Quemado NM to get up to El Mapais National Monument and onto I-40. East on I-40, then I-44, then I-70 and finally north on US31 to get to Michigan.

A lot of Rt66 along that route. Still several sites and museums along the way. Cadillac ranch, for a quirky example, in Amarillo.

I am going through the same thought process. I'd like to see some new territory, specifically Moab. I've looked at routes going east from Moab and most can be troublesome in April. Not always, but very possible. A couple years ago we got trapped in southern CO with a snow, ice and wind event that I do NOT want to experience again. April 10th!

So, I am again giving up on Moab as an April route home. My plan (as of today) is from Apache Junction, go up US 60 east through Superior, Globe, Show Low, Eagar and turn north at Quemado NM to get up to El Mapais National Monument and onto I-40. East on I-40, then I-44, then I-70 and finally north on US31 to get to Michigan.

A lot of Rt66 along that route. Still several sites and museums along the way. Cadillac ranch, for a quirky example, in Amarillo.

I-70 is a vital West-East corridor but you can encounter trouble in a bad day. It is vital to keep it open as all trucks use it but sometimes Mother Nature has other plans.
Something I forgot to mention in my previous post, forget Hwy 285 to get to Denver. It goes through what we call South Park. A huge valley with brutal winds and cold. When the wind blows the road gets VERY icy. Lots of accidents in windy days. Then you have Kenosha Pass which is an easy 10,000 ft. pass but from there (around 40 miles) to Denver is a narrow, curvy, 2 line, 55 mile/hour road with a lot of local traffic. I don't recommend if for a big rig.

I went to HS in Loveland back in the 70s. Many weekend dashes to the I-70W resorts for a day of skiing. Back then Estes Park was pretty much closed in the winter, nothing was open, no fast food, just the locals left to winter it out. Lake Eldora was the closest ski slop from where we lived, pretty tame compared to the others but still a fun time.

I want to drive the western segment of U.S. Route 2 one summer West to East.

In April is all about watching the weather and having "Plan B" ready to execute." Snow storms/blizzards are not uncommon on the western slope or the front range in April/May.

Latest resources

Back