RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 11"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Chevy Trailblazer
Fulltimer
No
2017 Ventana LE 4037 emergency egress window located driver's side in the full wall slide, bedroom. The catch track that was glued to the lower portion of the window glass has detached and was found laying on the ground. Fortunately, we were not under motion at the time of the release. Newmar has quoted $904 for just the glass and the 2 tracks glued on. 23 1/4" high by 28 1/4" wide, actual glass measurement. This is a Hehr unit with the 2 red flip-up latches.

I have the parts, they seem undamaged. The glue on the aluminum catch track is VERY difficult to remove. I have tried JBWeld's Clear Weld, but after 1 week it is already starting to release.

Does anyone have suggestions for an adhesive they've used and would recommend? Aluminum to glass.

hehr window.jpg

1660848207432.png

Attachments

• IMG_1800[1].JPG
    IMG_1800[1].JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
Any chance you can use VHB tape? My Aunt used to say “two half hitches will hold the Devil”. From my experience, I’d put VHB tape in that catagory. JB is good stuff but Ive had mixed results on some surfaces, aluminum included. The skin in that red trailer in the background is probably attached with VHB tape. I also read that the windows at Chicago O‘hare are held on the building with it.
2BE85AA0-11CD-4A16-81EA-E5C843AFDD5D.jpeg

Any chance you can use VHB tape? My Aunt used to say “two half hitches will hold the Devil”. From my experience, I’d put VHB tape in that catagory. JB is good stuff but Ive had mixed results on some surfaces, aluminum included. The skin in that red trailer in the background is probably attached with VHB tape. I also read that the windows at Chicago O‘hare are held on the building with it.
Thank you, Rich. I am very familiar with VHB (very high bond) tapes. Mostly I've seen it used in shear (the forces are parallel to the substrates. In this situation, the tape would be in tensile load, meaning that the forces exerted on it would be 90 degrees from the substrate surfaces. Essentially pulling straight away. There is a lot of force from the latch trying to pull that glass tight into the seals.

I'll consider it, thank you.

I'd take a look at Sikaflex 252. I think that's what Newmar uses as their adhesive in various applications.

Latest resources

Back