• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BenJohns

RVF Newbee
Hi all,

I plugged my 2006 Keystone Montana 5th wheel into a 50 amp service last night, but forgot to flip the breaker. I guess things were running on the battery power for a few minutes before I realized the lights were dim, and the ceiling fan, and fireplace weren't working at all. So I flipped the breaker at the box and I noticed the ceiling fan turn on through the window, but by the time I stepped inside, the TV was SMOKING! I quickly unplugged the TV and sat it outside. Well now the furnace/fireplace/fridge aren't working and all the lights are dim. I'm not sure what all the check. The fuses and breakers in the bathroom look fine, but I suppose there could be another inline fuse or breaker somewhere I'm not aware of. Could the 50amp service be wired incorrectly? Did I fry my electrical system? How do I start troubleshooting?

Hi all,

I plugged my 2006 Keystone Montana 5th wheel into a 50 amp service last night, but forgot to flip the breaker. I guess things were running on the battery power for a few minutes before I realized the lights were dim, and the ceiling fan, and fireplace weren't working at all. So I flipped the breaker at the box and I noticed the ceiling fan turn on through the window, but by the time I stepped inside, the TV was SMOKING! I quickly unplugged the TV and sat it outside. Well now the furnace/fireplace/fridge aren't working and all the lights are dim. I'm not sure what all the check. The fuses and breakers in the bathroom look fine, but I suppose there could be another inline fuse or breaker somewhere I'm not aware of. Could the 50amp service be wired incorrectly? Did I fry my electrical system? How do I start troubleshooting?
I presume that in the past you have used a 50A service successfully. And there hasn't been any wiring or a power cable changed since then. If so, then I would conclude the 50A receptacle in the box may have been wired wrong.

I would start with the trailer powered from a known good 50A service. That means checking it to see that the two hot lines {L1 & L2} and the neutral {N} and ground {G} are wired in the correct place on the receptacle.

I'd say that everything in the trailer that is intended to run on 120VAC was likely hit with 240VAC. NOT GOOD! You will likely need a good RV electrical tech to go over every item. Here is the correct wiring for a RV 50A receptical.

Sorry to learn of the issue.
42522522.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes! Where were you?

I've got it parked at Indian Springs Campgrounds in Ringgold GA. It's a newer campground (appears it was previously a trailer park). The receptacles are all new, and the manager said all the receptacles are wired the same, and that even the guy next to us used our receptacle momentarily before we showed up and had no issues.

I got a surge protector last night, and it's showing that the receptacle is wired with "open neutral" which could cause damage to our stuff. So they're going to have the electrician come out and inspect it at some point today. But it's seeming like a lot of our stuff got fried, and I'm going to contend that they cover the damages and pay for an RV electrical tech to come out and inspect my rig. Wish me the best of luck!

I've got it parked at Indian Springs Campgrounds in Ringgold GA. It's a newer campground (appears it was previously a trailer park). The receptacles are all new, and the manager said all the receptacles are wired the same, and that even the guy next to us used our receptacle momentarily before we showed up and had no issues.

I got a surge protector last night, and it's showing that the receptacle is wired with "open neutral" which could cause damage to our stuff. So they're going to have the electrician come out and inspect it at some point today. But it's seeming like a lot of our stuff got fried, and I'm going to contend that they cover the damages and pay for an RV electrical tech to come out and inspect my rig. Wish me the best of luck!
Bingo! Open Neutral!!!! Yep, applied ~240 volts, depending on current demand, to a LOT of stuff designed for 120 volts. Just depends on what AC items were ON inside the RV will determine what likely was damaged. i.e. TV, converter, refrigerator, ceiling fan, and etc. The converter supplies 12V for the control panel on the ref, lights, charge battery,

Probably their "agreement" excludes any damage to your RV caused by any item on their part or negligence. Good Luck on this.

Latest resources

Back