Vision
RV Length
Chassis
Chevrolet
Engine
Fulltimer
Yes
Hi folks. Back again.

My electrical panel hums, and the bottom of the vent is hot to the touch. Is this normal?
I’ve been trying to figure out why my solar system batteries are draining so quickly, and this issue has me concerned.

There’s not enough info here to give you any good leads on exactly what’s going on, but given that the panel is humming and hot, and that the next thing that ususally happens is that the smoke gets out, I’d say kill power to the panel and inspect it before moving forward. Without knowing more about the history or what other equipment is involved, I would default to it being a safety issue and act accordingly.

Last edited:
I love infrared thermometers!!!
If the panel is also the converter, it is time to figure where the load is.

There’s not enough info here to give you any good leads on exactly what’s going on, but given that the panel is humming and hot, and that the next thing that ususally happens is that the smoke gets out, I’d say kill power to the panel and inspect it before moving forward. Without knowing more about the history or what other equipments is involved, I would default to it being a safety issue and act accordingly.
I love infrared thermometers!!!
If the panel is also the converter, it is time to figure where the load is.
Thank you for the replies.
Yes. It’s also a converter.
A person knowledgeable in electronics said there should not be a hum, and that this could be what using so much of my battery (solar) life.
Kevin, how would you investigate load? I can use a volt meter, but I do t know where to start.
Also wondering if simply replacing the unit would be easier. (I’m an irrigation professional. Often it’s easier to just replace an automatic valve rather than spending time troubleshooting it).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Thank you for the replies.
Yes. It’s also a converter.
A person knowledgeable in electronics said there should not be a hum, and that this could be what using so much of my battery (solar) life.
Kevin, how would you investigate load? I can use a volt meter, but I do t know where to start.
Also wondering if simply replacing the unit would be easier. (I’m an irrigation professional. Often it’s easier to just replace an automatic valve rather than spending time troubleshooting it).
I just read that a low hum is perfectly natural. So, now I’m confused, and more frustrated.
Right now, a generator powers the RV when needed. Touching under the vents (see photo) feels very warm to the touch. I know that heat is energy, and energy use drains my batteries. The only load in the RV are a few plugged in electronics (a printer, the microwave digital read out, a couple of unused charging ports, and a few LED lights (I swapped out the incandescents).
So little load makes me wonder what is producing the heat from the converter.

It could all be from a bad/aging converter. If its the original it’s totally obsolete anyway and likely over-charges your batteries. Regarding my history comment, how long have you owned the unit, has it always done this, do you have any contact with previous owners, has there been any modifications, replacements, or upgrades over the years, etc. I would identify the converter (brand, model #) and talk to Randy at Contact Us. They have modern replacement converters that will fit that type of panel and provide bulk, absorb, and float charging.

Are you plugged into the shore power?
It is normal to get a hum when a transformer is supplying power to something. The more load the greater the hum. However if you're not on grid then it should be silent.
Quality transformers are about 99% efficient, can't testify that converters use Quality parts...

1% is lost to heat. (Your heat issue). The lower the converter draws down the batteries, the more load required to try and charge them up. The harder the converter works, the more power it draws, and the more heat it produces. (Get the picture?).

If you're not on grid, then this is a loop problem!!!
Most of the time these units like you have have the converter part "hard wired"! in, that simply means you have wire nuts behind the panel. You don't want to have that converter robbing power from the batteries to charge the batteries! I assume you have an inverter feeding your house power cord! That works, but only if the converter hi voltage wires are disconnected.

Honestly! My converter is MIA and has been replaced with something more useful.
16850203870066598986972466519105.jpg

I am never plugged in!!! Unless your rig has a 3stage charger circuit, or your plugged in, that thing they call a converter serves better as fish habitat!!!

There should likely be a fan somewhere on the converter. Check to see if it is working. It may not run continuously. I would pull the inverter out, if you never hear a fan kick on and see if the fan ever runs. If not, I would consider replacing the entire converter.

The converter will indeed emit a low hum. You should also hear the converter fan running. Turn the power off and unplug. Disconnect your solar input. Check every terminal for loose wires. Ensure each terminal screw is tight. Loose wires cause resistance. Resistance causes heat. Several loose wires cause extreme heat. If you find wires with melted insulation, the burnt part needs to be removed before attaching to the terminal. Loose wires will get hot enough to melt the terminal. If so, replace. Been there, done that!

The converter will indeed emit a low hum. You should also hear the converter fan running. Turn the power off and unplug. Disconnect your solar input. Check every terminal for loose wires. Ensure each terminal screw is tight. Loose wires cause resistance. Resistance causes heat. Several loose wires cause extreme heat. If you find wires with melted insulation, the burnt part needs to be removed before attaching to the terminal. Loose wires will get hot enough to melt the terminal. If so, replace. Been there, done that!
Okay. Great.
I’ve researched new converters. May just replace.
I never hear a fan coming on.
Thank you for the reply!

Latest resources

Back