TOW/TOAD
2021 Chevy Trailblazer
Fulltimer
No
2017 Ventana LE 4037
Onan 8HDKAK-1046N
MS2012 Inverter
Precision Circuits Inc Central Monitor Panel

No shore power. Generator running, and waiting for the 30 second delay before starting anything. I could here the "thump" of the relay pull in at 30 seconds, but it was not quite as loud as what I remember compared to the shore power relay.
Line 1 = Zone 1 AC on and cooling
Line 2 = Zone 2 AC on and cooling
Voltage reading on the Central monitor panel:
IMG_8592[1].JPG

What's so weird is the 0 volts with 14 amps and the AC on that line is running just fine.

Then, looking at another page of the Control panel is the error code:
IMG_8593[1].JPG

At the transfer switch relay, the voltages are as follows:
Red to White = 120 volts
Black to White = 120 volts
Black to Red = 0 volts
Green to White = 0 volts, with continuity
Isn't the voltage between the 2 leads red and black supposed to equal 240 volts?
What does the error code mean in the display?

Here is another page of the display:
IMG_8594[1].JPG

By the way, I have looked at the "manual" from PCI. The copy I have is quite worthless. There have been no changes made since the last operation of the systems when everything was fine.

To summarize my questions:
1. How can the display read 0 volts with 14 amps and the devices being run are just fine?
2. Are the volts between red and black supposed to be 240 on generator?
3. What does the control panel display error code mean or indicate?

Note: I am not using the coach at this moment, it is in storage facility, so access is not immediate, but possible with time.

Can you verify that ALL of your breakers are on in your breaker box? If key ones are turned off (I.e. engine heater), you will get odd readings from the display.

I can confirm that not all breakers are on. I will flip them all on, try again and report back. Thank you.

Sounds like a bad pedestal and/or breaker. Be prepared for "it's your coach" and not their problem.

Edit: I understand this as a GEN test. Paging Dr. @Chuggs

Went to coach. Block heater and refrig breakers were intentionally off. Flipped them both on, started gen, all readings now normal, error code now OK.

whodathunkit?

thanks for the advice, dilemma solved

Resolution: Don't do that!

Neal is right, basically.... I discovered this oddity last year when I was messing around with my breakers. It took a while to figure out, but I did some googling and also read some info on their web site.

Here is my post from then:
......I began to Google it and although I did not find anyone who saw this before, I did find these troubleshooting notes from Precisions site (http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com). This is when I realized that this behavior is probably expected based on these notes:(Highlighting mine)

-----------------------------------------------
If Incorrect Voltage Displayed:
If not check to make sure all circuit breakers are on and that L1 screw terminal is wired to L1 Breaker, L2 screw terminal is wired to an L2 Breaker, and that there is a wire from N to the Neutral Bar.
If System displays 50A Service when plugged into 30A Service.
1. Make Sure all Circuit Breakers are on.
2. Check Voltage between L1 and L2 DIRECTLY ON PCS Module, should be 0Vac
Tip: Things like Water Heater, whose circuit breaker is occasionally turned off, should not be wired to Relay 3 or Relay 5
As you can see, the common denominator is to not shut down key breakers on the shore power side...or it will mess with the PCS Power Control System.

Precision Circuits has responded to my distress call. They offer this:

“The PCS control board is inside of the breaker box, the hot wires from the breakers go to the shed relays on that board. The system is reading the line voltage off of those relays so when you turn the breakers off the PCS cant read the voltage.”

NOW I get it.

Thank you so much @Richpatty for the quick and accurate analysis.
Thank you to Danny at Precision Circuits for his quick and accurate analysis, too.

Remember all, we welcome commercial/vendors to assist here if they choose to join. I think it's valuable for their participation in this "forum" if they choose. Please mention to them should you reach out and let them know of this new community where they are welcome.

Glad I could help! I have not been able to be as active on the forum as I would like to be, but I hope to get back into things in the future.

Latest resources

Back