Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Engine won’t shut off: Part III…and hopefully the last!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
Just received a call from Freightliner Northwest where the coach has been for the past two weeks. There’s some good news, some very good news and some questionable news. And, just for the curious, Freightliner Northwest in Mount Vernon, Washington, is also a Spartan 1W (top level) service center and Cummins warranty/service shop.

First, the questionable news: over the course of two weeks and numerous start/stop cycles, the techs were unable to get the engine to fail shutting off when the key was turned off. This was, however, after they had initially disconnected and reconnected some electrical plugs and connectors. They are wondering if that might have resulted in wiping an intermittent contact point clean. Who knows?

The good news is that despite not being able to get the problem to repeat, they replaced the shutoff relay that was the prime suspect once the ignition switch was replaced. And, they told me that if I get the coach home (40 miles, so reasonably close) and it again fails to shut off, I should bring it back and they will continue looking for the problem. Fair enough, and I appreciate how they have approached this. The techs have been committed to finding and fixing the problem. And, not once did they ever question that the shutdown failures had occurred, even when they couldn’t replicate them.

The “very good news” is that it appears Spartan has stepped up on this and will cover the repair work and parts under warranty. Even better was the fact that the service rep says she is “billing all costs to Spartan and, if they push back, I will argue with them…and, I’m pretty good at arguing!”

While in their shop, the fuel rail recall work was also performed, so that is behind us as well. Now, all we need to get done is having the local RV shop replace the failed AC. The replacement unit has not yet arrived at their shop, but is expected soon.

TJ

So you still selling it?

Dang it

Just arrived home with the coach and everything but the AC unit is working as it should. (Another shop will be replacing the AC as soon as the unit comes in). Before I left the service shop, I started the coach, let it run for five minutes and turned it off. Worked flawlessly. Previously, that would have resulted in the engine continuing to run.

As I was getting ready to leave, “Jeff” (the lead tech) flagged me down and said he’d like to show me some things and talk a bit. How many times have you had that happen at a service facility? Anyway, he showed me the location of the fused relay they replaced and explained the circuitry involved. He said that if we experienced the shutdown failure again, I should go back a pull this relay. “Everything should shut down immediately,” he explained. “If it doesn’t, we have another circuit that is somehow backfeeding power to the relay and I want you to bring it back so we can keep looking for the problem circuit.” I like his approach!

I also found out that when the lady in the office sent the “paperwork” (electronically), Spartan turned down all but a half-hour of labor. She was on the phone and called Jeff over to tell him what Spartan was saying.” He told her “if they want to deny the rest, we’ll have the customer contact them to get reimbursed; and he WILL get reimbursed.” Jeff said the Spartan rep apparently overheard his comment and came back with “Never mind, we’ll pay the whole thing.” Again, I like his approach.

If you ever need engine or chassis work done here in the Pacific Northwest, I recommend very highly Freightliner Northwest in Mount Vernon, Washington (about 60 miles north of Seattle on I-5). They are authorized to do service and warranty chassis work on both Freightliner and Spartan platforms, as well as service and warranty work on Cummins engines and Allison transmissions. It is my experience that these folks know what they are doing and how to communicate with customers. Top notch!

TJ

Not at these market rates, my friend

@TJ&LadyDi I'm so glad FREIGHTLINER took care of you, ya know, jus'sayin...

FWIW-Yes, a corroded contact could have been issue. Glad, soooo glad they changed the relay anyway. Also glad Spartan stepped up to the plate. Glad you made if home safe and sound. The AC unit I think Mothership should replace it because no AC unit should fail in two years (ok maybe 3, but still). Just shows the quality of what we are getting in RV's nowadays. Hope mine dont go, but bought extended warranties on the Refer and both a/c units. We are planning a little trip in week or so. will advise how it goes. Our rigs operate in a damp environment in many cases, so having electrical connections which act up is commonplace. Believe I had one in rear Heat Pump, kept giving me ac fault running off generator in winter. I killed all power to whole coach. Then opened up circuit panel and just tweaked the screws holding down the wires on everything. So far it's worked perfectly. Know it takes time, but if they put electrical grease on all the connections, our gremlins would disappear for most part. It help many of them are protected from water with gaskets and such, but somehow water seems to get into places it should not. Glad things worked out.

@TJ&LadyDi I'm so glad FREIGHTLINER took care of you, ya know, jus'sayin...
How did I know I’d hear from Major Freightliner on this? :rolleyes:

Just for the record, this “Level 1W” (Motorhome certified) SPARTAN service center also works on Freightliner stuff. Don’t let the name fool you! Just sayin’! :ROFLMAO:

And, yes; those fine folks took really good care of us!

200.gif

TJ

Latest resources

Back