Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Fueco

RVF Supporter
I just installed our Equal-i-zer hitch for the first time. It seems to work just fine, but makes a lot of noise. I gather this is normal?

Besides grease and Sway Bracket Jackets, what else have you done to quiet the thing down?

E4292C02-601D-4610-9212-0E96FCD124E9.jpeg

There are several YouTube videos on setting up a WDH. Those videos are great! But with ours and others I've heard around the campgrounds, they groan and squeak when one is turning and maneuvering. I do loosen our sway bar ( or remove it) when getting ready to back into our site. Just the nature of the beast where one has metal against metal. Some are seemingly worse than others.

Yes, there are places on the hitch that should be lubed. The specific installation instructions for the specific hitch should identify those. I use the same grease I use to pack wheel bearings.

Bob

I just installed our Equal-i-zer hitch for the first time. It seems to work just fine, but makes a lot of noise. I gather this is normal?

Besides grease and Sway Bracket Jackets, what else have you done to quiet the thing down?

View attachment 14946
I had the Equalizer hitch for 9 years on a 22’ TT towed with a 4Runner. It squealed the whole 9 years. Putting grease on the L brackets defeats the anti-sway feature. It needs that friction to stop sway. Equalizer makes plastic tabs that go on the L brackets but they didn’t eliminate the squeal.

Not sure if they make them for you hitch but I use silencer pads on my E2. Wife hates the squeal, they were cheap and do not change performance.

That hitch noise reminds me of getting up in the morning. Knees, hips, back, neck, and arms creak and groan when first moving around. That way I know they are working.

Latest resources

Back