RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2011 Jeep Liberty
I had the misfortune of bending both steel bases on my Equalizer rear jacks this week.

I have a 4X4 on my parking pad that I use as a stop when I back into my space. When I touch the 4X4 with my rear tires I usually pull forward about an inch so the tires aren't pressured against the stop.

For what ever reason this time I pulled too far forward. When I deployed the jacks the leading edge of both rear base plates contacted the trailing edge of the 4X4 and were bent upwards.

I crawled under today and it appears the bases are attached to the hydraulic cylinder via a hex headed bolt.

So my question is....has anyone for what ever reason removed theirs for repairs or replacement? is it as simple as removing the hex bolt? Will the cylinders rotate when I try to do so?

I could live with them this way but prefer to get them back to their original shape but I'm venturing into unknown territory here.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpeg
    IMG_0110.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0108.jpeg
    IMG_0108.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
It seems to me if you are not getting proper surface contact you're not going to get weight distribution and you'll have a higher concentration of weight on the center area. You may want to email Newmar parts and see if they sell replacements. [email protected]

I would also get in touch with equalizer and see what the replacement process is. If the cylinder turns, you are not going to get them off easy. Putting any kind of "toothed" grip on the shaft to hold it while unscrewing nuts/bolts will scratch it, happened to me, when manufacturer scratched mine on previous coach. Think whole assembly had to be replaced. Be careful working under MH, lot of weight above you. Equalizer also might have process of flattening them out again, never hurts to ask. DO NOT HEAT THEM FOR ANY REASON, and then beat on them. Will change temper of the steel and reduce that strength.

Also, a 4x4 behind rear tires straddling the whole width of the wheel base plus some extra is what I'd use, then that might assist you better. Realize jack are behind rear wheels, so if right up next to board, and kept there, then you will know, safe to lower jacks, if gentle, wont' hurt tires. I use same board for driving into stall, and front wheels are leaning against that. Yes, after contact, back off tad bit, just let the tension relax. I'm on gravel, so coach does not move much then, gravel does have some give to it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their input....much appreciated. I did contact Equalizer and ordered two replacement pads. They are attached at the bottom of the cylinder via a 1/2" hex bolt. Was told by Equalizer that cylinder could turn but the bolt should break free first. Once out the plates will basically fall off. Use Loctite Red on the new bold and your done.

Excellent, now if we make similar mistake, we know how to fix them. Have fun. Hay, you and I live in the same state. Send PM about possible good camping places and I will respond with like.

Latest resources

Back