Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I don’t want to derail the conversation about diesel fuel prices over here
So I thought we can have a separate thread on EV.
There’s a tremendous amount of money and research on EV batteries and where it is going.
I’ll start with this.

Some of the technology mentioned in this article are game changers for the world as we know it. Moving past the electric vehicle benefits, how about a battery on the wall that powers our homes, continuously being charged via sound waves being beamed to the battery pack.

Some of the technology mentioned in this article are game changers for the world as we know it. Moving past the electric vehicle benefits, how about a battery on the wall that powers our homes, continuously being charged via sound waves being beamed to the battery pack.
As much as my wife talks we'd be pumping extra electricity back to the grid.

All I hear are people buying EV's..okay, Tesla's but I don't think we've yet seen how these are standing in the "used" market. How is an 8 year old Tesla going to sell? People are going to be concerned about battery life I presume, it's a thing with phones now "battery health" and I imagine the cost to repair or replace batteries is not going to be cheap. The joy of new is great, let's see how things work out as this "fad" ages.

All I hear are people buying EV's..okay, Tesla's but I don't think we've yet seen how these are standing in the "used" market. How is an 8 year old Tesla going to sell? People are going to be concerned about battery life I presume, it's a thing with phones now "battery health" and I imagine the cost to repair or replace batteries is not going to be cheap. The joy of new is great, let's see how things work out as this "fad" ages.
Right now prices for older Teslas is pretty good. Maybe 30 percent depreciation after 8 or 9 years. Re the batteries. Keep in mind that many of the cab companies running Teslas areb2014 to 2016 model years. Many have north of 400,000 kilometres on them. And the tech was different back then. Now batteries are expected to last 600,000 to a million kilometres. The car will fall apart before the battery in most cases. And then the battery will probably go on to a second life.

Most battery failures are in the first three months. It’s rare to see a battery failure after that.

Any info on battery health? How is it measured? Any stats, real numbers on a year by year basis?

Any info on battery health? How is it measured? Any stats, real numbers on a year by year basis?
None that I have seen. Lots of anecdotal stuff. For example. A friend in town with a P85 maybe 8 years old says he has lost about 14 percent. He only has about 180,000 kilometres on it though.

Our first EV was a Nissan Leaf, kinda famous for losing capacity in hot climates because of heat. (No battery cooling system). We sold it when we bought the Tesla. I still see it driving around town and occasionally talk to the guy who bought it. His battery health indicator is at 11 out of 12 bars which is probably around low 80 percentile health. It’s 7 years old now.

Most battery capacity is lost in the first two years and most of that is in the first 6 months in our experience.

Not an expert. Jmho.

I'll have to say (vent) that one of my most despised cars to be behind are PRIUS's. I'm guessing there is some profile the car is telling them to drive that makes them road hazards. They are always going too slow or are just in the way. I want to...okay, not saying it. But there is something about PRIUS's that I'm so glad I have not seen with Tesla's on the highway (freeway for lefties).

Anyone know if Amazon sells portable EMP devices?

Latest resources

Back