Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
We have the joy of annual state inspections here in VA. It typically goes smooth that is when everything is working. Supposedly I have several lights that have failed from marker lights to license plate light (back) and of course the FL shop doesn't have them so we're trying to chase down lights from local RV shops before my trip tomorrow otherwise I take it with a reject tag which gives me two weeks to source the needed parts.

Moral of the story is, if you don't have state inspections this is a reminder to check your lights that you probably don't care about but should be aware of which is your night lights. Most I'd bet don't know they may be out.

I'm at year 3 so the joy begins as this is typically when the failures start from what I've observed.

My experience is that there are always lazy inspection stations. I purposely seek those out.

Texas has rules that vary by county, but no requirement to be inspected in the county where you live. All the trucks that "roll coal" go to a neighboring County that only does safety inspections and no emissions testing.

As for failed marker lights, license plate is a big one and will get you pulled over. I am suprised others matter at all.

I typically get in and out of this place quickly, I think I got an inspector seeking employee of the month. I appreciate finding the failures as we all want things working, just an inconvenience complicated by having to find bulbs they don't stock.

I just called them and it's front right marker light, license plate light AND driver's side wiper not cleaning. As we know those blades/arms won't do so well so I think I'm done with inspections here. Off to get the RV and take it to my fav place, McGeorge's which I despise. We'll see how that goes.

License plate light is a complete LED unit, can't replace a bulb. Ordered from Newmar for $25, on backorder so around 2 weeks until arrival. Marker light ordered with it, $5, common item.

Interesting to hear that marker lights are problematic. I am in Virginia too and have to take our Bay Star in soon to get inspected. I know I have a couple that are out. I ordered replacements from Newmar but as soon as the replacement shows up a new light fails.

All lights must light, if not it fails. Marker lights, headlights, license plate light, etc.

Who hasn't done a presentation where there's that one guy in the back who feels compelled to ask some stupid question so that everyone in the room notices that he's there? Well this "inspection" nonsense is one of those times when our lawmakers needed to do something so everyone in the room noticed they're on the job.
  • In our great state of NC, you won't need an inspection the first year you buy the vehicle. Doesn't matter if it's 20-years old with bald tires and broken windshield, no inspection the first year. Make any sense? No, of course not.
  • Next interesting part of the inspection requirement is only cars under 30 years old need to be inspected. WHAT? If there were any car on the road that needs inspection it would be the cars that are older than 30 yrs. But no, not in our governments mind. 30? 40? 50? Get em out there on the road, no problem.
  • And lastly, everyone knows someone who will pass your car regardless. I could take a raged out bomb to half the places in town and they would pass it. What a farce and complete waste of time/money.
Of course, the clown that wrote the law and shoved it down our throats is driving around in a government issued ride anyway, so he's not having to take time out to participate in this worthless exercise.

@Neal, when you fail a vehicle inspection, the proper reaction is to pull the mechanic to the side and ask him how much it will cost to “fix” the defects. The key is that when you get to the word fix, you need to simultaneously cough and double over, sliding a $100 into his shirt pocket.

On second thought, given the times we’re living in maybe forget the coughing part.

Latest resources

Back