Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
When you go RVing do you find yourself enjoying a particular type of food? What do you like to eat when camping? Do you like to cook inside or outside? What are your favorite cooking appliances (propane, smokers, griddles, etc.)?

I enjoy griddling breakfast which is typically eggs and bacon, outside. I enjoy burgers and steaks it seems more when camping, but will probably lean more towards chicken these days as I'm working on my mankini beach bod :) Ribs has been my thing lately too and occasional, maybe monthly, wings. I need to get more fish into my camping diet.

So when dining in (vs. finding a restaurant) what are your favorite camping makes?

When you go RVing do you find yourself enjoying a particular type of food? What do you like to eat when camping? Do you like to cook inside or outside? What are your favorite cooking appliances (propane, smokers, griddles, etc.)?

I enjoy griddling breakfast which is typically eggs and bacon, outside. I enjoy burgers and steaks it seems more when camping, but will probably lean more towards chicken these days as I'm working on my mankini beach bod :) Ribs has been my thing lately too and occasional, maybe monthly, wings. I need to get more fish into my camping diet.

So when dining in (vs. finding a restaurant) what are your favorite camping makes?
When we are traveling in the motorhome, I try to make many of our meals ahead and freeze them flat in ziplock bags so I can stack them. There are several reasons. Our days are often more active and tiring when we are on a trip, and I do not enjoy cooking as much when tired. I much prefer getting out one of my big cast iron pots at home, and cooking up big batches of soups, chili, taco meat , pasta sauce etc. Also, I am not a huge fan of the induction cooktop in the coach. We always have a supply of Costco’s ribeye steaks, and good hamburger for using on the Weber Q. We also have fun making pizza on the road, but again, I cook the sausage ahead, and make pesto sauce and freeze. On our last trip, we stocked up on brisket, and jalapeño cheddar sausages while in Texas…..so delicious. They were long gone by the time we got home. We love fish, but will only cook that outside of the motorhome. Judy D

The only time I cook pork chops is when camping. Its become obligatory. Grill up a couple dozen for the gang while others provide the sides, or just meat by a camp fire….either way, thats livin!

I camped next to a couple of sugar cane farmers from Loosiana in Galveston in Jan and they had the deep-fired fish thing goin on. Better than the resturant next door. Seems everyone has a specialty. When we go to the north coast in the winter its Jambalaya on the beach. Everything from scratch. Thats why we drive a mobile kitchen.

Attachments

• 9BD8055D-9085-4040-A8BA-F306B9CFE6E4.jpeg
    9BD8055D-9085-4040-A8BA-F306B9CFE6E4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
We like to explore the local restaurants (in moderation). But, at the coach I've been trying to wear out my relatively new pellet smoker. Reverse-seared steaks are turning out really nice, as are smoked meats: brisket, pork, and fish are regulars. Some chicken, too, but I'm not a big fan of that particular bird. A pile of veggies to go with, and .... woohoo, another good time at the table!

Stopping at Buc-Ess,s and getting their brisket sandwiches with in house potato chips !!

Camping is the only time I’ll normally have sausages for dinner or oatmeal for breakfast.

Bush pies are our go to lunch when we're somewhere we can build a campfire.

Dinty Moore beef stew… it’s the only time our children (now adults) ever had it growing up. It became a tradition to have it, along with bread and butter, on our first night of any camping trip. Was easy to fix while we were setting up camp.

So Have to ask you, what brand and model of smoker do you have? I'm looking for one that fits the limited space we have but is still small enough to be effective and not have to add an extra trailer to the kit just to haul around.

Ron

BBQ anything...all outside. With limited counter space inside (with stove top open) I prefer to try and use the butane burner and BBQ for everything. Besides...my wife doesn't really cook...

Latest resources

Back