Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Yukon Denali
Fulltimer
Yes
As I hunker down in Kalispell, MT, the generator of my coach has come on twice in the last 2 days (I've been here 2 weeks.). When I look at my Control Panel, the voltage on L1 and L2 flucuates between 116 and 117, respectively. Even so I was able to cook, use my washer and dryer, run the a/c which I found weird. Newmar told me I need 118 volts minimum on each line to run my coach. Then today, the generator came on. L1 and L2 were both showing 117 volts. I only had the a/c on - no extraordinary draws on power. I shut everything down and then just turned on one a/c and the generator immediately kicked on again. I talked to the owner and his electrician. The electrician said that by law the power can fluctuate within a range of 10%, i.e., the voltage could be as low as 108 on a line. I told him that would not be enough power. This is a new campground so they are trying to figure things out. They may be a little underpowered, but it seems so strange when my generator comes on. It seems random. In any case, really nice people. They want to make everything right, as they intend to expand. Thank goodness for AGS to protect my monster dogs. Oops, I digress. So my questions are as follows:

1. When they checked my pedestal, L1 and L2 read 119. My Control Panel said 117. Right now, my Control Panel reads 116 and 117 on L1 and 2, respectively and I'm not having any issues. Is the Control Panel inaccurate? Is there something that would cause the difference in the readings? Is there something else I should check? Is it indicative of another issue I may be having?

2. What would I notice that would suggest my transfer switch is failing? And what do I need to do to make sure my transfer switch is okay? Is this something I need to check? Can I do it or do I need to call a mobile rv tech?

Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always for your help. ?

Renee

PS The readings on my Control Panel seem to be accurate for all the parks I've gone to previously.

Renee:

A two-Volt difference (about 1.5%) is well within the expected accuracy range for two different test devices. I doubt that there is anything wrong with your "Control panel." My guess is that even though this is a "new campground," it sounds like the electric grid there is already insufficient. That's not unusual, even for new parks. Heavy duty wiring is expensive and when park developers find out how much it will cost to do it right, they frequently cut some corners. That results in an inadequate power supply for the park at peak demand times.

This sounds to me like a prime candidate for a Hughes Autoformer solution. Not cheap, but the Autoformer will boost low voltage significantly.

Amazon.com: Hughes Autoformers RV220-50SP Voltage Booster (with Surge Protection), 1 Pack: Automotive.

Running your ACs and other appliances on low voltage can damage them over time. Your AGS is apparently set to come on if the voltage sags to around 116V and that's why it keeps coming on. Actually, that's good as it is preventing low-voltage damage to the ACs and other high-draw appliances.

While "the law" allows the power to fluctuate, the laws of physics still exact a price on appliances when it does. If the park can't remedy this situation (and, you don't want your generator to keep running), it may be time to look for a new park.

Good luck.

TJ

Renee:

A two-Volt difference (about 1.5%) is well within the expected accuracy range for two different test devices. I doubt that there is anything wrong with your "Control panel." My guess is that even though this is a "new campground," it sounds like the electric grid there is already insufficient. That's not unusual, even for new parks. Heavy duty wiring is expensive and when park developers find out how much it will cost to do it right, they frequently cut some corners. That results in an inadequate power supply for the park at peak demand times.

This sounds to me like a prime candidate for a Hughes Autoformer solution. Not cheap, but the Autoformer will boost low voltage significantly.

Amazon.com: Hughes Autoformers RV220-50SP Voltage Booster (with Surge Protection), 1 Pack: Automotive.

Running your ACs and other appliances on low voltage can damage them over time. Your AGS is apparently set to come on if the voltage sags to around 116V and that's why it keeps coming on. Actually, that's good as it is preventing low-voltage damage to the ACs and other high-draw appliances.

While "the law" allows the power to fluctuate, the laws of physics still exact a price on appliances when it does. If the park can't remedy this situation (and, you don't want your generator to keep running), it may be time to look for a new park.

Good luck.

TJ
Thanks TJ. I was worried about the control panel. I feel better after reading your response. After I talked to the electrician, I also came to the conclusion that the park is underpowered. I am ordering the voltage booster RIGHT NOW. Too bad Polson is booked or I would return. ? Actually I should recheck...just in case! ? Thank you again. Feeling much relieved.

Last edited:
@TJ&LadyDi I just ordered the booster. Where do I put it? Or how do I connect it? Please tell me that even I can do it. ?

We'd put you up at our lot while we are away, but it is booked solid through August 25. We would have liked to stay another week or two before going back to Washington for some doctor/dentist/vet appointments (all routine), but our lot was already booked. Hope you get the power issues sorted out.

TJ

We'd put you up at our lot while we are away, but it is booked solid through August 25. We would have liked to stay another week or two before going back to Washington for some doctor/dentist/vet appointments (all routine), but our lot was already booked. Hope you get the power issues sorted out.

TJ
Thanks TJ. I am happy for ya'll that your site is booked solid though. Safe travels back to WA and back to MT again! But wait, wait....what do I do with this crazy booster thing that I just ordered. Should be here by Saturday. Where does it go? HELP! ?

@TJ&LadyDi I just ordered the booster. Where do I put it? Or how do I connect it? Please tell me that even I can do it. ?
It is plug-and-play. Plug it into the pedestal and plug your coach power cord into the receptacle on the unit. You will need to find a way to weatherproof it and keep it off the ground. A couple of plastic coach leveling blocks will keep it off the ground and a plastic waste basket will keep the rain off.

Some folks mount theirs inside the power compartment and that's another option. I think Hughes sells a kit for internal mounting. COME ON GUYS...CAN SOMEONE HELP @ARD with the internal mounting details; I haven't done it myself.

Oh, and the unit will come with instructions. Renee. ;)

TJ

It is plug-and-play. Plug it into the pedestal and plug your coach power cord into the receptacle on the unit. You will need to find a way to weatherproof it and keep it off the ground. A couple of plastic coach leveling blocks will keep it off the ground and a plastic waste basket will keep the rain off.

Some folks mount theirs inside the power compartment and that's another option. I think Hughes sells a kit for internal mounting. COME ON GUYS...CAN SOMEONE HELP @ARD with the internal mounting details; I haven't done it myself.

Oh, and the unit will come with instructions. Renee. ;)

TJ
Hahahah! Thanks TJ. You're the BEST! I have extra leveling blocks to get it off the ground and a trash can is easy to get. Whew! I can do this!

Hahahah! Thanks TJ. You're the BEST! I have extra leveling blocks to get it off the ground and a trash can is easy to get. Whew! I can do this!
You will need to put a brick, log, or something on top of the trash can to keep it in place for wind comes up with the rain.

You will need to put a brick, log, or something on top of the trash can to keep it in place for wind comes up with the rain.
Eeee gads, didn't even think of that. Thank you. Okay, I'm in luck....I have a brick. Thank you, Lisa for mah brick @NWIP!

Latest resources

Back